4 wheel disc sep up

JRC86GN

Hi does anyone make a 4 wheel disc sep up for the GN? will the stock powermaster work or do you have to swich to a vaccome brake setup?

thanks
Jack

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

None Of The "racing Brake" Companies Make The Rear Kit, As It Is Felt That Small Of A Ring Gear Is Not A Racing Axle. I Believe The Later S10's With Rear Discs Will Fit In There. A Vacuum Booster Will Defintely Not Work, As They Normally Use A 24mm Master, Which Is Too Small To Work 2.5" Pistons, And The Pressure Is Too Low. A Hydroboost Will Absolutly Work Rear Disc. A Powermaster Uses A 1.250" Piston, Which Has The Volume, But The Pressure Is Marginal. The Proportioning Must Be Changed To A 4 Disc Valve, As The 2 Disc Limits Rear Pressure To 600psi.

thanks for the info. I would like to get more braking out of my car. the factory brakes are marginal at best.

Jack

Baer makes various front kits and a rear disk brake kit for our cars.

Got them on my GN.

Stock powermaster seems to work fine with it too. :smile:

Do a search there are several threads on the Baer setups in the archives. :cool:

I too have seen a Baer setup for the rear... my brake SUCK so I got them on the brain and I have been investigating a lot... I think Im going with the alum drums and a full brake job.

12" sport setup on the front and the disks in the back make a huge difference.

Start with the front setup first, you may not need the backs, next car I would do the front setup and try the upgraded S10 rear cylinders and keep the drums out back, just might be perfectly balanced at that point.

Mine also fit under the 15" AR rims I am using.

Here's the back setup, complete with Emerg. cabling a good kit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's a front one.

image.jpg

Yes they make a big difference and don't fade, they actually stop better if you build up some heat in them.

Best part of driving the GN now, my WE4 still has the stock stuff and is always an adventure when you have to brake hard.

But the GN has less oil pressure than my WE4 so there's always some tradeoff....... :frown:

12" sport setup on the front and the disks in the back make a huge difference.

Start with the front setup first, you may not need the backs, next car I would do the front setup and try the upgraded S10 rear cylinders and keep the drums out back, just might be perfectly balanced at that point.

Mine also fit under the 15" AR rims I am using.

Here's the back setup, complete with Emerg. cabling a good kit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's a front one.

image.jpg

Hey, are those M&H Drag radials? If so how do you like them... they make a 275/55/16 for my gnx knockoffs and I was wondering how they hooked and ran.

None Of The "racing Brake" Companies Make The Rear Kit, As It Is Felt That Small Of A Ring Gear Is Not A Racing Axle. I Believe The Later S10's With Rear Discs Will Fit In There. A Vacuum Booster Will Defintely Not Work, As They Normally Use A 24mm Master, Which Is Too Small To Work 2.5" Pistons, And The Pressure Is Too Low.

Ahhh..yes and no. You are correct in that AP, Alcon, and Brembo don't make a kit. However, I've been using Baer's 4 wheel disc brakes since 1996 with no issues whatsoever. I also converted to vacuum brakes using a 86 Cutlass booster and a 79 J56 TransAm master cylinder. The factory prop valve is gutted and I installed a Wilwood stand alone prop valve.

Mark

I have Baer rear disks and B-Body 12" front disk on my GN. I ran vacuum setup (booster, M/C, brake pedal, check valve) from 87 carb Regal. I had stock cam so good vacuum. Car stopped great. Only problem was could not hold car on the line under boost. Have recently changed over to 84 GN hydraboost setup but am having FAST/engine issues so no trip to strip.
Conrad Carter
North Carolina

Aerospace does make a kit for the stock 8.5 GN rear. I have had them on my GN with the powermaster for 2 years now. Stops alot better now. It is a race kit that does not have a parking brake.

I have Wilwood 11.75" kit with 4 piston calipers. I also have 17" wheels, I don't think they will fit under the 15" wheels. I am running a normal powerbrake setup.

Stop great and it doesn't over heat but I put them on front and back

Attachments

• DSC02289.JPG
    DSC02289.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC02290.JPG
    DSC02290.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 320
I have a Baer 4 wheel disc system with vacuum and it stops on a dime. perfect set up