4.1 is it worht the money

blown sn-95

I know where i can get my hands in a new never run complete 4.1 that was built from Buick motor sports for $1500.00 is it worht it to built my motor or buy the 4.1. only problem is it has cast pistons:(
what should i do:confused:

Originally posted by blown sn-95
I know where i can get my hands in a new never run complete 4.1 that was built from Buick motor sports for $1500.00 is it worht it to built my motor or buy the 4.1. only problem is it has cast pistons:(
what should i do:confused:

Check casting ##'s on the block. It may we worth it.

Check those casting numbers, I'd be willing to bet that if its a BMS built motor it uses a Stage block and the block alone would be worth more than $1500 if its in ready to run shape. If it has a "power six" cast into it, buy it!

A Mystery 4.1?

Follow the leads posted by the other guys, also look under the center exhaust port on the heads, if they have a #10 there Stg1 heads, BUY IT!

9sec.

If you are going to replace pistons expect to pay more than you would for a 3.8 forged pistons. I did a rebuild with a 4.1 and any company I called said they would have to be customly made. By the time I paid for pistons pins and rings from CP it was about $820, where as I could of done it on a 3.8 for less than $600. Just another thought.

where on the block will i find the " POWER SIX"
AND IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN LOOK FOR TO ID THE MOTOR?

Look for the following block casting #'s

25500016 or 25500153. These would be Stage I or II blocks of different vintages. BTW, the power 6 logo is cast into the block between the freeze plugs on the side. I can't understand why the motor would have a Stage block and cast pistons but who knows?

Neal

Time for the flag again??

I don't think "Buick motorsports" ever built and sold complete engines, much less stage stuff w/ cast pistons...:rolleyes: