4.1 Flywheel

79bird

I may have asked this a long time ago but don't remember now. Does anyone make a flywheel to fit to a 4.1 so I can put a 5-speed stick behind it?

YES!

I originally built my 4.1 for my hybrid Porsche w a 5 speed.

Advanced Adaptors makes flywheels for buicks V's

Make sure you specify even or odd fire.

Good time to get the rotating assemby balanced once you get the flywheel too.

Thanks Bob, I'll check them out. Looking at ideas for future projects if I don't like the 200-4R
Edit; I looked on the Advanced Adaptors site and couldn't find the flywheel. Do you have a part number? And how long ago did you do your build?

The 4.1 never came with a manual but... You can use one off a 3.8 if you rebalance it or take the 4.1 flexplate to a shop that does balancing and have them match the balance. Not hard or very expensive.

I did not ID 4.1 vs 3.8.

Advanced adapters sells a Buick V6 flywheel.

Call them and ask.

It was a while ago....

It may not be technically correct but I used a 3.8 H-body flywheel behind my 4.1 engine for 2 years. I really didn't notice any issues but then again I didn't really care much about the vibrations etc. This engine was an expirement/bomb. My biggest problem was keeping a clutch in it. The H-body flywheel is stepped so only a 9" or slightly bigger clutch will fit. Also, if you are thinking about using the T-50 trans that originally came in these cars be careful. They do not handle much power. I know because I now have a TH-350 in the car with a brake. The 5 speed was great for a driver but it wasn't great for enthusatic shifting and a heavy right foot.

I'd use a T-5, not a 50. I actually had a t-50 a few years back but sold it to another H-Body owner. I have all the info from the H-body FAQ to go by. I just want to find out if a flywheel is available or can be fabbed. I most likely will go with the 200-4R I have. I'm not building a barn burner, just a nice driver. A stick would be a fun alternative.