4.1 block numbers (production)

TR87386

Could someone confirm that there are only 3 different block numbers for the 80-84 production blocks? Did a few searches and checked gnttype. I got 25506484, 25514291, and 2550553. Seems like whenever one comes avalable it is either a 484 or 291, never seen a 553. Thanks guys.

There is a 4th. It seems to be a rare find though and from the looks of it the most robust of the castings. 25520044 is the casting number. It is listed as a Cadillac part number. Maybe Caddy was supposed to be the only user of that casting. ???? It has been found in Regals and Pontiacs that I know of.

Most people prefer the 484 or 291 because they were the later blocks. The later blocks had bigger main oil passage. The earlier ones can be drilled but there are still plenty of the 484 or 291 around so not many bother.

Great info guys thanks. I have been looking for a core and have found a low milage good running 291. 52,000 miles on it could be plopped into a NA car and run as is. Just curious what you guys think would be a fair price for something like this? Comes with everything carb to oil pan. Guy wants 750$ for it. I really only need the block/oil pan. I see the blocks going for 300-350, the crank should be worth a few bucks as well.

Are you getting the whole car or is this something you will have to pull.
If it is a whole car and equipped with 2004r, that as well as the tv setup at the carb can help recoup some of the out lay.
$750 sounds like a lot to me but I'm not looking for one so quick find has a patience tax. Offer $400 and see where it gets ya. He might need to move it. Neva know.

Rich

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

IMO $750 is way too much. There is little to no demand for a Buick V6 besides the GN crowd. If you get the entire car OK. For the engine only? Pass the pipe. The previously suggested $400 is reasonable but still not a great deal. He might at least take the $400 though.

Agreed, not to mention that if after I strip it down and have it checked it could still have core shift/cracking issues leaving me with a 750$ boat anchor. He is parting the car out, this would just be the motor. Thanks for the opinions guys I have been looking for a while and not had much luck. I'm in new england and I think most of the cars that have the 4.1 have rotted out and been junked at this point, making it a little more diffecult to find than other parts of the country (just my guess).

If you're seriously trying to find a 4.1 block I have a 291 I picked up from a Texas member several years ago that I was planning to build up but changed my mind after buying a lot of parts. Block has been sonic checked and the bore is good at .030 over. I also have a usable turbo crank, stock turbo rods, and a brand new set of 6 .30 over hyper pistons with rings, along with a new 14 bolt oilpan. I need to find a new home for these because I wont have a place to store them much longer.

Jeff (214)394-6052 text or call and make a fair offer. They willl have to be crated unless you wanna come to Dallas.

I been looking for a 016 block but they are tough to come by in good shape and they listed them as 016-017 stage 1-2 but to all the pros knowledge a 017 was never made! Thats why the 016 can be either.

017 was the last digits of the GM part #. The casting number is different than the part #.

There is a 4th. It seems to be a rare find though and from the looks of it the most robust of the castings. 25520044 is the casting number. It is listed as a Cadillac part number. Maybe Caddy was supposed to be the only user of that casting. ???? It has been found in Regals and Pontiacs that I know of.
i found this block at local pick a part

If you look at the gnttype page they also list an 818 casting number for the 4.1. It's an early casting like the 553. I have located one of these 818s in the local jy but haven't bought it (yet). All vin and shroud sticker info confirms it's a 4.1. I'm not sure but I believe that the 553 didn't have the knock sensor provision drilled. The 5th "mythical" casting number that is believed to be out there I think was an (EDIT:) 044 casting number. Pics have been posted in the past of one of them. Rumored to have thicker deck like the 109s.

Last edited: