3rd Gen F-body ?'s

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
My brother (16) just picked up a 1989 GTA. An absolute beauty, or "cherry" as they say. Unfortunately the intake manifold gasket went on us right as we got it home. Only had it two days. We are inthe process of fixing it, but I also want to check a few things and get this puppy running great. So..

IAC numbers?
TPS numbers at idle and WOT?
Aftermarket Maf's? A direct bolt on or is there some sort of translator device like the Buicks need?
Anything like the scanmaster out there for these cars?

We haven't had much time to search the net for a site like this for the car. Actually I have but he will need to register to them when he gets a chance, so that's why I'm asking here. I did read about removing the MAF screen(s). But I know with the Buick that some cars like this and others don't. But the article didn't mention this. So, do it? or don't ?

Thanks

You can get scan tools similar, a very good laptop scanner/recorder is DataMaster. I used it when I had a TPI motor in my truck, and use the LT1/LT4 version today on my TA and truck now.
You can purchase it for about $100 + the needed cables from http://www.akmcables.com/ Andrew Mattei is a great guy to work with, I bought several products from him and have met him once.
You might look around on his website as he carries several types of scan tools for the f-bodies of various years.

Not sure on the MAf question as my TPI was speed density and not MAF.
I learned most everything I know from the thirdgen.org website mentioned above and the 3rd gen area of www.camaroz28.com

I think the TPS numbers for idle are a bit higher than those for TRs but the WOT setting should be the same.
If you can find an OTC monitor like those used on the Buicks it will work on the GTA.
Not sure on the MAF sensors but I just ran a gutted stock sensor on my old 88 IROC.

F boby speed parts 4 sale

I have some left over go fast parts from my 88 IROC .There just sitting on the shelf, now that im in to turbo V6s.Every thing i have will fit that car, thier the same under the hood.
LIST
ACCEL Superram complet with 1000cfm tb,30psi inj.
ecm with chip from FASTER PROMS .COM
ACCEL 219. Hyd. roller cam for the Superram
SLP stainles 1"3/4 headers
This parts in my 350tpi with hand ported corvette alum. heads, 2500 stall, 3:27 rearend ran 12.30s every weekend and topend if your in to that topped out at 153mph plus got 21mpg at 70mph. I dont need this stuff any more.If your interrested CALL ALAN at 888-961-3368.any time. :)

Thanks for the links I will pass them along.

I will have to pass on the parts, thanks though. It's his first car and he's only 16. I'm going to let him and me get to know the car first see what it can take and whether he can handle it the way it is first. God forbid I add some "go fast" parts right off the bat and he can't handle it, and something goes wrong. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

Yeah, I hear you. A stock TPI car may not seem all that fast anymore but they can still get you in trouble real quick. :D

Parts for sale

LOL, yea i guess i forget how long ago 16 was. :)