3ed gen F-body Rear disk brakes

mkube396

My Brother is parting out an 85 TA and he is giving me the rear disk setup for my 1981 Monte Carlo. Is the install for the older 3ed gen disk braks just as straightforward as installing the LS1 setup? I have been looking on line for 3 days and all I can fined is LS1 every where..

What was the deal with this E-brake?
And will any thing need to be moved like the shock?

it's not gonna bolt up- easily fixed by drilling 4 holes- and the axle offselt from the end of the axle to the end of the haxle housing on the 9 bolt F body rear is different than the G body rear- but that might be fixable by making a spacer.

the parking brake is built into the caliper, and you will need to rig up some cables for it.

This isn’t coming from a 9 bolt it is coming from a 10 bolt 7.5” so if it is easy as the LS1 I am going to move forwarded with this.

disc brakes only came on the 9 bolt in the 3rd gen F body.. it might have a 4th gen rear end in it if it's got a 7.5.

The nine bolt he refers to ,is the Austrailian rear that was used by GM in those cars. Most likely what you have, and is easily identified by the rubber fill plug in the cover.

I have rebuilt a few rear ends in my day and this is a 10 bolt with disk from a mid to later 80's 3ed gen i know there 9 bolts are made in Austrailian

disc brakes only came on the 9 bolt in the 3rd gen F body.. it might have a 4th gen rear end in it if it's got a 7.5.

Hate to say it but 2nd through 4th gen Camaros came with rear disc brakes. Second and thrid are kinda hard to find but it was an option on the Firebird.

As far as adapting any of them to a metric chasis rear there's a lot involved in doing it. I put 4th gen rear disc on my car and you have to fabricates some parts plus do some cutting on the axle flange to make any of them fit.

The second gen rear discs on Firebirds stink. They are the same ones on those year Caddys too.

I honestly wouldnt waste my time with that year of rear disk.. Look for the 89-97 aluminum PBR rear disks.. waaaay better
Rear disk have been around on the Fbody since atleast 1969..

Well there for Free.. and it is a complete set with all most new every thing. So I am going to do it as I like a challenge

before doing all that bs work why not switch to hydroboost, then see if you think you need the rear disc. I would do hydroboost and bigger front brakes before monkey f*ckin some crap setup to start with on your car. The gm rear disc setup is garbage until it got corrected on the ls1 cars. My ta had 4 wheel disc. Nothing to get too excited about. My buick with hydroboost and all new brake components damn near throws me into the steering wheel-and that's not locking up either or having even bled brakes for that matter.

Hate to say it but 2nd through 4th gen Camaros came with rear disc brakes. Second and thrid are kinda hard to find but it was an option on the Firebird.

As far as adapting any of them to a metric chasis rear there's a lot involved in doing it. I put 4th gen rear disc on my car and you have to fabricates some parts plus do some cutting on the axle flange to make any of them fit.

yes, discs were always available on Camaros starting in 67.. but from 82-92, they only put rear discs on the 9 bolt axle. if they had put them on the 7.5, they would be a bolt on swap since GM used the same idiotic axle flange on the F bodies as the g bodies.

they went back to the old standard 4 bolt flange on the F body 7.5 when the F body got redesigned for the 93 model year, and that was the first time a 7.5had disc brakes.

The 70-81 had a offset caliper rear disc setup 10-10.5" rear rotor (not sure YR they started them.
The 82-88 had the same super crappy offset caliper rear disc brakes as 2nd gens (pistons freeze up in the bore) 10 or 10.5" rotor
The 89-92 had a much better PBR designed aluminum caliper w/ park brake built in. 11.7" rotor solid cast rotor Best an lightest setup if wheels will allow it
The 93-97 had the same setup as the 89-92 3rdgens had. 11.7" rotor with a thin steel hat rotor cast on it. kinda weird also best an lightest if wheels will allow it
The 98-02 had a bigger thicker rear rotor with a built in park brake that looks like a little drum brake (like 70s vets) this setup is heavy and bulky (GM must have helped design it)
On the 3rdgen you could get disc on either the aussie 9bolt or the 7.5- 7.65 rear. the aussie rear has a lil diff flange bolt pattern than the standard GM flange. not a big deal to redrill the bracket. The sevice replacement dana 44 rear uses the same standard GM flange.
Free brakes aren't always worth the trouble. I say sell the free rear you have and look for better brakes. Unless your running 15" wheels. But I still wouldnt use those old iron calipers.

The 70-81 had a offset caliper rear disc setup 10-10.5" rear rotor (not sure YR they started them.
The 82-88 had the same super crappy offset caliper rear disc brakes as 2nd gens (pistons freeze up in the bore) 10 or 10.5" rotor
The 89-92 had a much better PBR designed aluminum caliper w/ park brake built in. 11.7" rotor solid cast rotor Best an lightest setup if wheels will allow it
The 93-97 had the same setup as the 89-92 3rdgens had. 11.7" rotor with a thin steel hat rotor cast on it. kinda weird also best an lightest if wheels will allow it
The 98-02 had a bigger thicker rear rotor with a built in park brake that looks like a little drum brake (like 70s vets) this setup is heavy and bulky (GM must have helped design it)
On the 3rdgen you could get disc on either the aussie 9bolt or the 7.5- 7.65 rear. the aussie rear has a lil diff flange bolt pattern than the standard GM flange. not a big deal to redrill the bracket. The sevice replacement dana 44 rear uses the same standard GM flange.
Free brakes aren't always worth the trouble. I say sell the free rear you have and look for better brakes. Unless your running 15" wheels. But I still wouldnt use those old iron calipers.

got any pics of 3rd gen 7.5's with factory disc brakes? every one that i've ever seen with rear discs has had the 9 bolt.

The 7.5 disc rears were used from 82-85-6 ish, then the aussie 9bolt showed up until it was discon at the end of the 89 model year. GM went back to the 10 bolt for 90-92 as a 7.65 or somthing like that. It uses the same gears as the 7.5. also around 90-91 GM upped the spline count from 26 to 28.
I have 2 91-2 3.42 10 bolt disc rears, 1 3.27 disc 9bolt, 1 3.70 moser ford 9" and a GM Dana 44 disc rear with unknown as of now gears in my garage.

the 1st pic isnt mine.. think its a 9bolt. the brake brakets are like my early 89 9bolt.
004.jpg

sorry this pic is so small but its my 92 formula. removing the factory 10 bolt for the dana
tenbolt.jpg

this is my 89 formy w 9" ford and 13" baer brakes
SDC10190.jpg

I'll post more in a bit..

COuld you post some pics of your fbody in another section? I'd like to see them. I think they're the best looking fbody aside from the new one

Here is the middle pic a bit larger I hope. Its my 92 formula 305 5sp factory rear disc 10bolt with 3.42 gears..
usetaboost There are tons of pics on my junk on the web. Google images of TTOP350..

big 10 bolt rear.jpg