396 LT1 w/FAST- Headers Glowing

97bowtie

The original thread can be seen here:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409452

The header primaries are glowing at idle, and at part throttle under no load.

Things I have checked:

Rockers - readjusted, set a hair past zero lash.
Timing - pulled timing cover off, timing is straight up.
Replaced opti - swapped a known good opti onto the car, headers still glow.
New plugs - no change.
Swapped coil - no change.

The car has a F.A.S.T. engine management system with an on board wideband, and the a/f is reading OK. I suppose the O2 sensor could be off, but I'd think the plugs would reflect the car running that rich. The plugs look OK, and have about 200 miles on them.

I'm thinking the cam was possibly ground incorrectly and the cam wasn't degreed (I bought the car with this setup) and the valve timing is off. It's also possible the valve job is garbage...I don't know who did the valve job, but if it was a bad job, the valves wouldn't seal, allowing unburned fuel into the primaries. I would do a leakdown test, but the car is still apart.

I'm contemplating pulling the heads off and going with a different h/c setup.

Any thoughts/help is appreciated. :)

Are you running 26-30 t total timing at idle?

Make sure you do not have an exhaust leak on the collector..... if you do have one it will show before long by ticking like a rocker. Usually this would be one collector tube or if you have shorty headers the collector could have a crack and glow at the collector.

N/A engine ......Sorry I read your link after replying....

You said a/f is okay but what is it?
How much timing are you running? 30 at idle no more than say 38-39 at cruise??

Can you disconnect your muffler?

you should contact Joe Overton by phone, he is a DFI guru and knows the LT1 IN and OUT
you have too know who i'm talking about if you own a modded LT1 :cool:

Make a TDC mark on the balancer and verify what the actual timing as read on the balancer with a timing light.

Crank reference angle on an optispark ignition FAST will be anywhere from -4 degrees to 6 degrees.