3800=dead?

Drac0nic

It ain't easy livin free
Just figure I'd mention it, since I was picking through the 2006 engine lineup, and the 3800's no where to be found. Looks like the end of the 3.8L Buick descendants, then again since '87 it hasn't seen a heck of a lot of glory either.

well its all FWD glory, the GTP and Regal GS guys sure love'm. Honestly everything moves on eventually, considering that even the Series III L32, and whatever the NA version is, is still relatively ancient tech compared to most of the other engines out there in the V6 power plant realm.
Just out of curiousity is it the new 3.6 DOHC Global engine thats replacing it or the crappy 3.4 chebby 60deg V6? I will build a 3800 and put it in something cool rearwheel drive one day but first I should concentrate on getting the "stoneaged" 4.1 SFI Turbo V6 running on a slightly more advanced abicus than stock.

It depends on what chassis the car is on. As far as I know the 3.4 Chevy should be history for th 06 year having been replaced by the 3.5. And I think there are plans for a 3.7 version of the 3.6 for 06. Right now for 05 the 3.6 is almost a Buick/Cadillac only engine available in the Buick Rendezvous,Lacrosse and Caddy CTS and SRX. Too bad. With the loss of the 3800 there will be no more engines that started off as Buicks in design. GM might as well put SBC's in everything.