37/64" lifter galley plugs... where to get!?

PhilM

Präzisionelektronik
As title says, where can you get these two plugs? Nobody's got em!

Phil

Never heard of a 37/64" Pipe plug. Grab one of them if you have any to match, and go to home depot.

Yea, I actually used a size that was commonly avail. (16ths") and got an expander I made and hammered it out larger so the fit is tighter. I figured since I have some time and would like more peaceofmind for my oiling system I would get the exact one that GM calls for.

Maybe I'll just tap it or something...

Phil

PhilM said:
Yea, I actually used a size that was commonly avail. (16ths") and got an expander I made and hammered it out larger so the fit is tighter. I figured since I have some time and would like more peaceofmind for my oiling system I would get the exact one that GM calls for.

Maybe I'll just tap it or something...

Phil
Dont know why I was thinking of NPT pipe plugs. We used to switch over to NPT pipe plugs on alot of engines and pretty much forgot that they use regular plugs on pretty much most engines, lol...brain fart. Make sure to get a chisel type punch and punch a few spots around the plug so it doesnt push out under pressure. Or maybe drill the ends of the galleys to fit a threaded NPT pipe plug and then tap it accordingly. I prefer threaded plugs by a long shot.

I just ebay'ed a freeze plug kit that had em in there... I'll play it by ear with the drill/tapping of a new hole... I kinda dont like 'press fit' on a main oil line, even with staking.

Phil

front plugs

I assume you are talking about the 2 front plugs. A 3/8 in. NPT tap fits perfectly. Look it over good as you tap and install plugs as the plugs have to be ground down. Not a lot of distance for threads. Being carefull the plugs don't extend in too far as to restrict flow from the pass. side to drivers side. Also the plugs have to clear the shoulder of the cam (the part that rides against the block). Never have to worry about them blowing out. Best of luck.
I have everything you need to do the job. No charge. E-mail me if you want.

What pilot drill needs to be drilled if i decide to do this? I'm also assuming I need a bottoming tap; although I suppose extra thread exposed into the hole wouldn't hurt anything...

I have NPT taps and I can get the plugs, np...

Thanks!
Phil

PhilM said:
What pilot drill needs to be drilled if i decide to do this? I'm also assuming I need a bottoming tap; although I suppose extra thread exposed into the hole wouldn't hurt anything...

I have NPT taps and I can get the plugs, np...

Thanks!
Phil

TA sells the plugs for this.You'd think regular ones work but after you grind them down enough to clear the timing gear there is barely any allen keyway left to tighten\loosen them.I was able to finally get some to work after messing around for a week with the stupid things then found out they have them cheap @ TA.Another trick is to tighten them where they will stay then mark where the passages are on the front of the plug then groove the rear side of it with a dremel to coincide with the passages for better flow.

no drilling required

The hole is already the correct size for a 3/8 tap. NPT taps are all flat bottom--tapered thread--but flat bottom. I have 3 taps I use. Each one has been ground shorter than the next. You have to run them in so far that the end hits farther back in the galley,hence the need to grind the end .

As stated, all you need is the tap.
I did mine without grinding the tap down. You need to go as deep as the tap will go but take your time and check as you go.
One side oil passage is deeper than the other so the back side of the plug needs to be ground down more on the side where the oil hole is closer to the front of the block so it does not block "any" of the side oil hole.
You will also need to grind the front of both plugs for cam gear clearance. And use PST thread sealant on the plug threads.

PS: if the tap does not go deep enough: tap both holes than grind down the tap and do it again. :biggrin: