36mm F-body swaybar problems

1Badelky

none of the threads about the F-body bar seem to address my particular problem. I am using the MOOG k6459 bushings with stock G-body brackets, and according to all the threads on here, it should just bolt right up flush. that is not the case. the bushing seems wayyyy to big for the bracket and i cant even get the bar close enough to the frame to get both bolts in the bracket.

Also, the bar is interfering with the jounce bars (which the Elky did not come with, I took them off a Monte Carlo) nobody else has this problem? should I try Energy suspension bushings instead? maybe they have less "meat" on them?

1115001401.jpg

1115001400.jpg

I've got the mounts from the F body but haven't mounted them yet. I think you may have the wrong brackets to mount them up. The factory bushings are rubber and have more squish in them. Energy suspension bushings may solve the issue but you won't know until you try them. Make sure to use their brackets if you decide to go that way.

Are you using stock F41 suspension brackets or stock small swaybar brackets? I'm not even sure if there is a difference but if you measure the openings, I can compare them to a stock F41 bracket. Your bushing does look way too big.

well I measured and the bracket is 1 7/8" deep and about 2" wide, and I held it next to the F-body bracket, and they are the exact same dimensions so it appears that unless the F-body subframe is countersunk to allow for a larger bushing, the MOOG bushing won't work on either car.

but I read on this site to use that MOOG bushing so apparently somebody is using it without a problem. what gives?

Ive got the big bar and had to buy ES bushings / they came with a new bracket. Seems to work fine. I could take a pic when I get home. Its been a long time since Ive bought them but Ill be happy to help in any way I can.

I already did the 36mm sway bar and I was at the same spot you are. I just used the larger bushings in the stock clamshells and then when i got the bolts a couple threads in i just kept going til they were tight. They seem to have clamped in nicely and I used some gm suspension grease from the local parts store. For the jounce bars your going to have to get a bolt with a washer and a sleeve (kinda like the sway bar end links) in order to lower the mounting point as not to interfere with the larger sway bar. As long as they're tight with no give they'll still perform the same.

1115001755.jpg

1115001756.jpg

After A LOT of reading and looking at pics of other installs I think I'm just going to shave some material off the top of the bushings so it bolts up flush with no stress on the bolts or excessive clamping on the bar.

Hopefully once the swaybar is all the way up my jounce bars will clear.

Lemme know how it turns out. It should work for the sway bar but I don't think that would still be enough for the jounce bars to clear.

well I know it looks like the jounce bars will hit, but I've seen pics of them installed and clearing the bar (though very close). If I get home early enough tonight I'll try it and post the results.

I had a thread on this maybe early last year, it's a total waste of time.

I don't believe the bars are even the exact same geometry and the F Body seemed to put a tad more downward force on the front making the install a PIA.

I retapped for bigger bolts and it still sucked (I wasn't going to swap out my PST bushings), so I said screw it, had the brackets welded on by the biggest hack in the world for $20 at a Merlins where they said he could weld. Looked like hot turds being cooled by Superman but it stays put now.

All that for 7lbs and I couldn't tell the difference in the front, the lower Triangle brace was better IMO.