350z

Wesley Kilby

:biggrin: A couple of weeks ago I was cruising down a local 2 lane when I noticed this car coming up on me fast. 2 young guys on my bumper in a white 350X with a billet grill and coffee cans for exhaust tips. It actually sounded great. They pulled up beside me when the road turned into a 5 lane and started revving it out of it's mind. I just kind of shook it off as we were going down hill near where state troopers are prone to lay in wait. They went on past me laughing at me for not mashing with them. In the distance the light turns yellow and I see him hit the abs to get it slowed down by me at the light. The revving starts again and I let him take off. I let the GN shift into second before I showed him the taillights. The look on their faces when I passed them was absolutely pricesless. By the time I hit 85 I had about 6 car lengths on them. They fell in behind and would not pass again. Later.

Too many young guys don't have any idea how much power a V6 turbo car can make. Guess those 2 now have a good idea!!! Good kill!:smile:

My gf smoked one in her little Subaru WRX wagon. While the Z's may look nice, they are underpowered and way too heavy... Nevertheless, nice kill. It's alway good to put the cocky kids in their place (ie: behind you ):p

they're about as fast as a stock turbo buick, but not nearly as easy or cheap to mod. they do look pretty good though, and rwd with a manual in a little car is always fun. a little too expensive for what it is though, imo.

Greddy makes a twin turbo kit for the 350z. The kit bumps it up to either 500 or 600 hp to the crank, depending which kit you purchase. There is a shop in Houston that installs them in the 350's and the g35's. I had a chance to see it being tuned on the dyno. Impressive.

Regarding it being a supercar. With the kit installed. It beat the supra, skyline, mr2 turbo, and corvette in the Street Car Shoot Out for all around performance.

Regarding it being a supercar. With the kit installed. It beat the supra, skyline, mr2 turbo, and corvette in the Street Car Shoot Out for all around performance.
it's kind of a definitional matter, but i don't really consider any of those cars a "supercar"... with the possible exception of the c6 z06 (i'm sure the one in that shootout wasn't a z though).

Most Zs at the track I see run low 14s. Plenty are mid 14s. My Max runs mid 14 so unless you dump odles of $ on them I say no big deal. They do look nice and sound good though.

Nice one,

I have started measuring kills in tractor trailer lengths or bus lengths. I think six cars is two tractor trailer lengths.

I think Stillen or Jim Wolfe make a TT kit for the z as well but it's big bucks. Kinda defeats the purpose IMHO. The idea as far as I'm concerned is to get the most for the least of "bang for the buck" or maybe it should be called "bang for the Buick":D

That's why the TR is still number 1 in my book.

Greddy makes a twin turbo kit for the 350z. The kit bumps it up to either 500 or 600 hp to the crank, depending which kit you purchase. There is a shop in Houston that installs them in the 350's and the g35's. I had a chance to see it being tuned on the dyno. Impressive.

A guy I know had a turbo (single) installed, cost him more to have it installed than I have in my GN, period.

Where's his car? Back and forth to the mechanic, hasn't gotten it running right yet. He's almost (or over) $50K into an 03 (or 05) 350Z (he won't actually admit how much he has into it, but when we pick at him about having 50K in a POS 350Z he doesn't say he doesn't), waste of cash if you ask me, for 50K I can get a used Z06 and smoke him, and have warranty doing it, and room to "upgrade" from there. Also I have a car that's at least "almost" worth what I have in it.

I'll keep my GN, I still have less in it, total, than he has in just a turbo upgrade, I drive mine every day, and it might even bring back what I put in it, if I ever sold it.

Oh here's a 74 page laughapalooza on his car: taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST - MY350Z.COM Forums he even manages to get banned for a bit in the middle of that saga.

He hasn't visited us in our IRC chat in months, he left right before all this happened, when we told him trying to get 600 hp out of a 350Z was gonna cost him more than just buying a Z06 would and be way less reliable.

Nice kill. I agree that they are nice cars and underpowered. There are a few people around my hometown that have 350Zs and they talk about them like they're the **** just because they beat a few Mustangs,which was probably due to driver error on the part of the Stang owners anyway. Whenever I get a TR,I think I'll show them and a couple of RX8 and WRX STi owners what a real car can do.;)

My dad has an '04 350z with Cams, headers, etc.. It runs pretty good, but I feel bad that it doesn't run better considering 5 grand in mods :rolleyes: I'd say on a good tire on the perfect night it might eek out a 12.99 on a glory pass. It handles and looks good though

forget a vette OR a 350z... if you had $50 g's to spend, you could build a hot rod that would run circles around either one and would be plenty reliable, and you'd have enough money left over to take care of any repairs. shoot, if you want a warranty, just buy one of GM's crate motors (like that 572 or whatever) and slap it in a nice roller.

I guess image is why people spend so much on nice, newer cars. imo however, none of the newer cars look any better than the classics. Nobody's gonna tell me a c6 or a 350z looks better than a '57 Chevy or a '68 Camaro. oh well, different strokes for different folks i guess.

I looked at buying one. But, with no rear seat its not an option. I want to be able to take the family for a cruse.

Everyday my car goes up in value. All of these pricy new cars just go down.

Too many young guys don't have any idea how much power a V6 turbo car can make. Guess those 2 now have a good idea!!! Good kill!:smile:

Tell me about it, I was having my car detailed and the kid guy wiping it down as I walked up to it said "Nice car, the kids over there were talking about how their imports would smoke it." He then said "Dumb kids, I know what these cars have just stock, and yours don't exactly look stock anymore" I just laughed and told him "that's ok, just let them keep thinking that, I'll catch them at a light sooner or later" :cool: