325x15x50 mt drag radials/backspacing

Renato Velati

I'm looking at the 325x15x50 mt drag radial on a 15x10 rim. I'm going to have the frame rails notched, but I really don't want to roll the inner fender. My questions are, what backspacing should i go with? And can I get away without rolling the inner fender?

With a frame notch, you'll want 5.5 backspacing on a 10" wheel. That tire is very wide. You can run it without rolling the fender but you'll have to adjust the ride height to make sure the tire doesn't contact the fender.

I use coil over springs mounted in the stock location.

This is what I use on my own car
QA1 14-130 - QA1 Powdercoated Coil Springs - JEGS

They come in 10",12" and 14" heights and different weight ratings. A 14" 130" will raise the ride height a little compared to a 14" 120#. Buy the 14" 130 for starters and go from there. I sent back 2 sets before I got the car sitting how Iliked it.

Here's how they look installed. They are so cheap compared to other springs on the market it seems to easy:D

IMGP3040copy.jpg

I was going to do this very thing and got the GN frame notch kit and Centerline Auto Drags at 15x10 with a 5" backspacing. The 5" backspacing was the common spacing with those with 10" rims I saw that went this route.

I worked out the numbers and here is what I got. The 325 is 13" wide and on a 10" rim sits over the edge by 1.5" so on a 5" backspace you have the tire coming into the frame 6.5" and out 6.5". The frame notch will give you about 1.5" towards the frame.

With 295/50's on a 4.5" backspacing I get 5.3" going in towards the frame and it's close. That's 1.2" less than the 325 and the frame notch gives you 1.5-2" so that seems like the way to roll to make sure it's not rubbing the frame.

Dusty, did you frame notch it all the way to the weld??
Some body shops didn't recommend me doing that but would gain you more clearance if anyone went this route.

I left about 1/8" of frame to form a C channel. I then cut some 1/8 plate and fit it inside the frame to box it back in for strength.

If I were doing it over, I'd cut it all the way back to the rear rail and let a chassis shop bend tubing and reinforce it from the rear.

I'm using Weld Draglites 15x10 with a 5.5 backspace. I had to a 1/2 spacer to make it 5". I did roll the lip but it can not be noticed.

P3230079.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

lol, I know....I was messing w/ ya. I have a similar setup going in my car, and I had a guy stop by the shop and asked what the garden hoses were for. Gave me a little laugh.