30-40 passes on the 200 getting old

Double-L

Was just wondering and a little bitching on the runs you can get on a built 200 tranny, I really don't want to pay the kind of money it would take to put a 4L65 in the car, I was told some where in the $6,000+ range and it is a street car to nice to turn into a race car but if that would fix it I would think about it, I have every built part you can put in the tranny and this time I think the torque converter might be bad, A 5 dish lockup, Now that makes me a little upset, Maybe 30 or more runs on it, Is there anything any one is doing to make them last any longer, I was told to just turn the boost down but the lowest I can turn it is 17 pounds and the car runs 10.90's at 17 pounds of boost, I am not happy running it like that and have only been running 20-22 pounds so I never really got a chance to really run it, Don't want a 400, I feel better anyway

400 with gear vendors 0d ..... how many passes are the race built 4l65's good for 200 ?

Properly built it should last much longer than that. The converter could happen to any transmission built or not. The converter manufacturer should stand behind their work. I have friends and my own car (and dads 2) running transmissions I have built that have made probably over 150-200 passes each over a long time period, not including all of their street runs while pushing mid to low 10s (insane6 and a few others ). If the transmission is not lasting but 30-40 passes it isn't calibrated correctly, or its cavitating causing low pressure and premature clutch wear imo.

Yes I know on the converter, The one that built it is one of the best, I know something could have just went wrong but he said go through them after ever 30-40 runs, A friend that races with me has a new light on it he said we can't even run a full season without going though it half way, He said we want to fix a poblem not live with it but trying to find the best way to fix the problem isn't a easy one

I wouldn't waste time or money on a 4l65e swap. If you can't get the 2004r sorted out , I'd step directly to the 4l80e. Maybe your builder has some more ideas or maybe another builder. If you already have the billet hard parts someone should be able to sort it out.
Nobody gets things 100% every time.

As far as 4l80e goes there are several who are very good at them but you will need a controller and an adapter to bolt to the block.

What exactly is failing? Are you locking the converter clutch up? Is the same thing failing or is it different failures?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's bs, my 200 has been together for years I can promise you it doesn't get gone through that often, trans was done over 10 years ago and it has been freshened once.

That's bs, my 200 has been together for years I can promise you it doesn't get gone through that often, trans was done over 10 years ago and it has been freshened once.

my turtles back yard built 200 lasted over 2 shoebox's of slips haven't counted them .... something isn't right .... I hear racers who rebuild it every season just so it will have fresh clutches .... but not every 30 passes.... hell may as well put aluminum rods in that thing

Was just wondering and a little bitching on the runs you can get on a built 200 tranny, I really don't want to pay the kind of money it would take to put a 4L65 in the car, I was told some where in the $6,000+ range and it is a street car to nice to turn into a race car but if that would fix it I would think about it, I have every built part you can put in the tranny and this time I think the torque converter might be bad, A 5 dish lockup, Now that makes me a little upset, Maybe 30 or more runs on it, Is there anything any one is doing to make them last any longer, I was told to just turn the boost down but the lowest I can turn it is 17 pounds and the car runs 10.90's at 17 pounds of boost, I am not happy running it like that and have only been running 20-22 pounds so I never really got a chance to really run it, Don't want a 400, I feel better anyway
A built transmission should be providing you street miles and 10x more than just 30 passes in the tens if everything is correct. Billet parts don't make the clutches hold better, they just keep hard part failures from occurring only, especially with a 5 disk lock-up. Clutch failure can be caused by many things; maybe you are over heating the Trans causing rapid failure. Contact me if you like; I can discuss this with you in further detail

If you switch to a 4L80e, just slap it in there with a transgo HD2 shift kit. The are absolute beasts. My friend had one behind a 750+rwhp WS6 that ran low 9's.
Though the trans should last much longer.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

400 with gear vendors 0d ..... how many passes are the race built 4l65's good for 200 ?

Do you have any idea how much a th400 with GV weighs.........about 220-230 lbs.....

on your lil set up a 200 will work fine if u have a billet 200! my lil set up contains a lil more hp thant yours

considering your car doesnt leave the garage, it should last a long time :)

That is a good point, but that might change soon. I'll stick with what I got for trans......

I have one that's been in the car for 6 years, survived 9.0's-9 teens for the last two years. I think it's all in how its built. Unfortunately my tranny guy has gotten out of the business. Last year alone I put right at 100 passes on it. The prior years when it only ran 9.30's-9.70.s I made closer to 150+ passes a year.

I have one that's been in the car for 6 years, survived 9.0's-9 teens for the last two years. I think it's all in how its built. Unfortunately my tranny guy has gotten out of the business. Last year alone I put right at 100 passes on it. The prior years when it only ran 9.30's-9.70.s I made closer to 150+ passes a year.

Wonder what ever happened to him? He did some outstanding transmissions.