3 Interior Lights Stay On

chicago

Chitown
Just picked up my car from 3 months of rust cancer work, was told the battery was dead and that I needed a new one. Replaced battery, was driving home, and noticed that the dome and two lower front courtesy lights stayed on, but the rheostat on the dash dimmed OK --- just didn't shut off the lights.

Do I need to replace the dash rheostat/switch for the interior lights? If so, where can I find out how to do it? Easy? Do you know where I can get a replacement?

TIA, jn.

I don't have my wiring diagrams with me, drinking beer and playing darts at the moment. If nobody else chimes in I can have something for you tomorrow.

BUMP. This thing is really pis*ing me off. I'll drain my battery if I drive anywhere.

Unscrew the spring loaded door switch and see if the wire is still connected to it. If the wire breaks off and touches metal it completes the circuit. If the wires are connected at both switches then it could be in the dimmer.
Tarey D.

Thanks Tarey. I found the problem. Driver's door pin does NOT depress far enough to shut off the lights. Does anyone happen to know which DELCO part it is:

ACDELCO Part # D6030 {#20589218}
SWITCH,DR JAMB RIGHT HAND; SWITCH,F/D JAMB(ONE CIRCUIT),

OR,

ACDELCO Part # D6088 {#19021203}
SWITCH,DR JAMB TWO CIRCUIT???

How easy/difficult are these to change? How do you "grab" the wire to insert the new pin into it? I know they screw in, but how do you make sure you've got a solid connection to the socket?

It's either a spade connection or it's crimped, not sure, unscrew one and take a look. If you unscrew it so it doesn't touch metal it won't run your battery down.
Tarey D.

I believe the two circuit ones were for cars with the factory alarm system.

One circuit would be for lights only no alarm cars. :)

thanks salvage. I eye-balled both the passenger and driver's pin switches, and noticed the driver's was far shorter. turned out the second part of the pin switch "telescope" was stuck inward. Used robogrips and pulled it out to extend. a little WD40 and works like a charm. now I just need to find replacements for the courtesy lights that I broke when I pulled them out! :)

thanks salvage. I eye-balled both the passenger and driver's pin switches, and noticed the driver's was far shorter. turned out the second part of the pin switch "telescope" was stuck inward. Used robogrips and pulled it out to extend. a little WD40 and works like a charm. now I just need to find replacements for the courtesy lights that I broke when I pulled them out! :)

Glad you found it. Might give Brian a call at GBodyParts.com a call for the courtesy lights.