3.8l Gn

SamBalkin

Hello All,

I have a 1987 Buick Grand National, and a 1986 3.8L non turbo Buick Regal. The Grand National is a parts car, to convert the Regal. What parts can I use off the GN (crank, heads, cylinder heads, rods, block) to convert the Regal to a 3.8L turbo?

Thanks,
Sam Balkin

Thanks!

Are any of the following parts (Rod, Pistons, Cylinder Heads, Block?) the same in the 3.8L N/A as in the GN?

Does the GN have a steel crank shaft or a cast? If it is cast, is there an aftermarket steel one available.

Thanks again,
Sam Balkin

The rods are the same " 2 dot" rods, the block may be the same. Check the casting #. It should 25526109. It will just need to have the hole drilled and tapped for the oil return line from the turbo. The heads may be the same as well. Check the casting #. Turbo castings will end with 445. Non-turbo heads can be used though with no problem. Pistons will be different. Crankshaft will also be different and is cast not steel. Aftermarket steel cranks are available through a few of the advertisers on this site. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks again. I browsed the vendors but I am having a hard time finding a stock steel crank. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Sam Balkin

Stock buick turbo cranks had rolled fillets on the mains & rods which made them extreemly strong but they were still castings. They seem to take a lot of power before they go based on what I've read. If you don't plan on going faster than low 11's you could easily get by with a stocker even though a lot of people have gone much faster than this on the cast crank. Many people sell these used on the parts for sale section of this board ($150-200). If you're really wanting a forging you can try full throttle, that's where I got my cat crank. It's a chinese forging hence the low price tag but it seams that they take a lot of abuse and I have yet to hear of anyone breaking one. If you can spend some more $$ go for the eagle version (same forging but better machined). Here's the FT website

http://fullthrottlespeed.com/items~CartId~{FF763EF1EVEREST-FA0D-4C08-96AC-13B8E2C3B152}~Cc~BUSHORT~iTpStatus~0~Tp~~Bc~.htm

Re:reply

Thanks for repling. I didnot ask the question. But I
did learn alot about thes motors. I am now on my second car.
It is a turbo Limited. That is all done except for the motor.
A good friend is helping me with decisions.
Motor has a 160,000 Org. I believe miles.My GN has 5,543 orginal everything.

So I did this wrong. Should have done motor first on Limited
But runs well. Is anyone in or near Westchester New York.
That could pull the motor and put it back in.
Have everthing except shortblock pieces.And a stock intake TB.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.Please e-me if you can help. Thanks. Rob.