3.8 Swap in a 300ZX Z31?

I have seen the 3.8 pop up in a couple of 240Zs, but have never seen it in an 84-86 style 300ZX before. I keep being told that it would be a 'downgrade' to go from the 300ZXs turbo engine to an LC2. Thats kind of making me want to do the swap that much more. Have you guys heard of a swap into a 84 - newer 300ZX as of yet? -Ben

Would not be a down grade at all would be one bad hybrid and fun to drive I had a 300 and a 240 I would do a 240 over a 300 hands down just my opinion :)

I have a 1990 300Z roller which had the TT motor in it so it has the better rear end. I took my mock up block and tranny setup and sat in it and found out that the motor has to sit forward and rework the oil pan a little bit would be the best solution. Otherwise I have to cut up the fire wall and the tunnel to sit the motor further back which is what I prefer but the heating Ac system sits right on the hump. I do want heart and AC so I am thinking of just have the motor mounted above the cross member instead of trying to squeeze it in behind it.

I have to play around with it some more to see what is the best solution. I have no idea when I will get to it. I just have way too many projects and not enough time..lol!

Prasad:D

DEF an upgrade.. BUT are they heavy ??? My old RX7/Buick is a blast to drive !!!

I love your style sir. Its good to see how many hybriders we got here!

Thanks AJ, If I have time this winter, I will finish this up. I have everything but time.
It's a 1985 Caddy Seville FWD. 4.1 with TH 325-4L I redid the headers, now the turbo sits in the rear by the fire wall. I just have to pull out the mock up block and install the fresh 4.1. I know it's not going to be fast but it will be Pimp ass ride with leather seats that looks like your old living room couch!
Prasad
1937-1985 pics 032.jpg
1937-1985 pics 036.jpg

Thanks AJ, If I have time this winter, I will finish this up. I have everything but time.
It's a 1985 Caddy Seville FWD. 4.1 with TH 325-4L I redid the headers, now the turbo sits in the rear by the fire wall. I just have to pull out the mock up block and install the fresh 4.1. I know it's not going to be fast but it will be Pimp ass ride with leather seats that looks like your old living room couch!
Prasad
View attachment 178935View attachment 178936
Damn!!!! clean that block up!

That should be one nice running Caddy when done. I pulled my first 4.1 out of one just like it at the U-Pick. I did it with the axle assembly in place. I was not going to to use the oil pan anyway, so I used sign language to tell the forklift operator to rip it out. The whole car came up in the air before the engine popped out. That was a 43,000 mile mint standard bore block. Than I broke it. That car should be relatively light if it's the small front drive car I think it is.

I built my 2-seat sand rail out of a 81 Riv. T-Type turbo. I could not imagine 87 Intercooled power in a FWD platform. You should be able to steer with the throttle.Mark.

I've only looked at a couple shells so far. The problem Im finding is that these cars have ALLLLL kinds of rust issues if not kept clean and in check. That, and what I want is kind of hard to find as well - 84-86 2+2 auto. Pretty easy to find super rusted out hulks, but for somethin that could handle the 3.8...havnt found one yet. The search continues!