3.8 s1 off center

gnxis

is there a diff front cover for s1 off center or can you use 109 front cover and just redrill and tap new holes?

I'd say "Yes" to both questions. The Stage I block is set up for an early style oil pan and front cover that have 14 bolts unlike the later 20 bolt timing cover/ oilpan. You should be able to drill and tap the holes you need. FWIW the aftermarket covers come with both sets of holes already drilled and tapped.

Neal

Thanks 750 ive got a friend who let a local "buick guy" do his 3.8 s1 and just before he primed motot he checked oil and found all water from rad in oil pan.he told my friend that the guy that did the short block put an oncenter front cover on it. Is there a diff for on vs. off.

There really is NO stock type On center front cover since Buick never made one. For an On center application you have to modify a stock timing cover. The only On center front cover Buick offered was for a dry sump application.

Neal

Originally posted by gnxis
Thanks 750 ive got a friend who let a local "buick guy" do his 3.8 s1 and just before he primed motot he checked oil and found all water from rad in oil pan.he told my friend that the guy that did the short block put an oncenter front cover on it. Is there a diff for on vs. off.

I have a "stock" front cover on mine, there are no modifications done to it. You need to make accomodations to the cam gear and cam sensor gear alignment.

Ted,

You have an On center or Off center? If it's an On center and you didn't modify the cover how did you get the accessories to line up? BTW, you didn't send me the pics of the crankshaft you're selling. Is it already spoken for?

Neal

Originally posted by Ted A.
I have a "stock" front cover on mine, there are no modifications done to it. You need to make accomodations to the cam gear and cam sensor gear alignment.

What accomodations? shims?

Front Timing Cover

Originally posted by gnxis

You can use a stock front cover on both ON & OFF CENTER blocks. All you have to do is mill about .125 off the stock cover surface to fit ON CENTER Blocks. There should be no water passage mods needed. Hope This Helps.:)

Originally posted by steve hughes
Or space the balancer out .125" like i did on mine.

You need to space out the balancer like Steve said and make proper adjustments to the cam/sensor gears for proper engagement. Really not a big deal.

Neal, I had some things come up on Sat and Sunday, I did not get to the pics. Sorrry. No, the crank is not sold.