3.8 hot air abruptly shuts off & would not restart

hotairgnx548

hotairgnx548
Just put a 62/66 turbo on my car with a milled out intake( no dividers) Driving down the street after about 15 minutes it just quit and will not restart. Next day starts and runs in driveway for over an hour. Happened 3 times once before the new turbo twice afterward. I'm gun shy can't afford rollback trips home a $60 a pop. Any ideas on what's happening? John

do you have pressure at the rail? Does the motor turn over? how is the spark?
The car starts and runs the next day. Plenty of fuel pressure. Next time it quits I'll pull some plugs and see what they look like. Been pulling on every wire in the engine compt. Sprayed the electrical connectors, checked coil pac, injector wires, maf, ecm wires, crank sensor, but right now I'm grounded for fear it will quit again. Thanks for the shout out. John

I had a car run for 10 to 15 mins, then not restart. We changed everything. The very last thing was the cam sensor cap. It cured it. Still an odd problem and cure to me.

I had the same problem for a year or so. Had fuel, no spark after 15 min or so of driving. Died while driving down the road multiple times. Towed three times back home. Bought new GM coil and module and crank sensor. Didn't fix it. Turned out it was the ignition hotwire adapter going into my module. It had a bad wire on it. I was told by several people to wiggle the wires. And I did, and didn't catch it at first. As soon as I found the wire, I could move it and instantly almost kill the motor at idle.. Check your wires, especially if you are running 84/85 harness into an 86/87 module!!!!

I had the same issue in my 85. For me it was the crank sensor. It would stall, I would let it sit for awhile and it would start right up and run fine.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had the same problem for a year or so. Had fuel, no spark after 15 min or so of driving. Died while driving down the road multiple times. Towed three times back home. Bought new GM coil and module and crank sensor. Didn't fix it. Turned out it was the ignition hotwire adapter going into my module. It had a bad wire on it. I was told by several people to wiggle the wires. And I did, and didn't catch it at first. As soon as I found the wire, I could move it and instantly almost kill the motor at idle.. Check your wires, especially if you are running 84/85 harness into an 86/87 module!!!!
84 GN thanks for the information I'll check that and order a new one front Caspers I've had mine for many moons as I am an original owner of my 85 GN. John

Last edited:
Don't throw anymore parts at the car before you check your Fuel pump voltage when you go to start it have someone watch the voltmeter see where it's at at cold start and monitor it as the car warms up it will probably drop from mid 13v to below 12v when was the last time you changed the pump

Don't throw anymore parts at the car before you check your Fuel pump voltage when you go to start it have someone watch the voltmeter see where it's at at cold start and monitor it as the car warms up it will probably drop from mid 13v to below 12v when was the last time you changed the pump
Norcal thanks for the tip but I have plenty of fuel my pump has been replaced within the last year. found several things that could cause problem. replaced crank sensor with good known part, ordered a Casper hot wire kit, ordered a cam sensor ditgital cap. Thanks John

It's gotta be something small. The car was running fine before this problem just came about, correct? Have you tried the temp sensors on the intake you ecm may be getting a foul reading check your wiring harness completely the temp sensors are a PITA to change but cheap to get you can find them in town

It's gotta be something small. The car was running fine before this problem just came about, correct? Have you tried the temp sensors on the intake you ecm may be getting a foul reading check your wiring harness completely the temp sensors are a PITA to change but cheap to get you can find them in town
Norcal thanks for the advise as soon as I get my part for the alky system I'll take it for a ride and see if I've corrected the problem. John

Hey bro what's up? Did you figure it out yet?
Received the controler that signals the solinoid (HOT AIR ONLY PART) to let the akly flow and got it installed and working but have not driven it yet. Weather bad today so probably would not drive it today. Want to run it Saturday. Thanks John

Received the controler that signals the solinoid (HOT AIR ONLY PART) to let the akly flow and got it installed and working but have not driven it yet. Weather bad today so probably would not drive it today. Want to run it Saturday. Thanks John
Cool, keep me posted