3/2 control valve mod side effect?

turbo87regal

I recently had to change out the forward drum in my transmission with a billet one my stock one broke. While I was in there I was advised to do the 3/2 control valve update for my older CK shift kit witch I did and the only other change I did was installing a bigger boost valve in the pump.

Transmission is shifting much better into 3rd under heavy throttle witch is what I was after but I took the car out the other day and got a very wierd shift (seems like it went back and forth between 2nd and 3rd very quickly about 3-4 times) while under light throttle. It did this twice and only under light throttle under heavy or moderate throttle its fine. Also 1-2 shift is a little harsh to me now under light throttle compared to what it was before.

Is this a normal side effect of this mod, could I have done something wrong and what can be done to fix it?

I recently had to change out the forward drum in my transmission with a billet one my stock one broke. While I was in there I was advised to do the 3/2 control valve update for my older CK shift kit witch I did and the only other change I did was installing a bigger boost valve in the pump.

Transmission is shifting much better into 3rd under heavy throttle witch is what I was after but I took the car out the other day and got a very wierd shift (seems like it went back and forth between 2nd and 3rd very quickly about 3-4 times) while under light throttle. It did this twice and only under light throttle under heavy or moderate throttle its fine. Also 1-2 shift is a little harsh to me now under light throttle compared to what it was before.

Is this a normal side effect of this mod, could I have done something wrong and what can be done to fix it?

The 2-3 shift issue is common .. it sucks !!! some guys just hold it in 2nd at lower speeds and then shift it to D ...

its very very annoying in stop and go traffic ..

best thing to do it just stay out of the 20 mph area .. get through that speed and keep it above or below.. sometimes adjusting the TV cable helps . .most of the time it doesn't

side effect

Very annoying is right and there is a lot of traffic down here. Guess I'll just keep driving it for a while and see if it happens too much I'll probably undo the mod and live with the softer 2-3 shift.

Very annoying is right and there is a lot of traffic down here. Guess I'll just keep driving it for a while and see if it happens too much I'll probably undo the mod and live with the softer 2-3 shift.

if you are in alot of stop and go.. just hold the car manually in the gear... no problems then.. its just a side effect you have to live with

My BRF valve body did that, but I've never had it happen with the KC valve body.

return to stock size feed holes in the separator plate.
are you saying I should try putting the stock separator plate back in instead of the one that came with the CK shift kit? what about the springs that were changed? and would it be a problem doing that if I dual fed the forward clutches?

Dual feed is the direct clutch..3rd gear....When we enlarge the feedholes in the plate we get the 3-2-2-3 hunting...it is a by product of the shift kit in a 2004r BRF calibration. IMO CK's kit is good I would just learn to live with it. Maybe somebody else can shed some more light on it. All my cars do it.

Mine did it once in awhile with an OG vb, does it a lot with a CQ. OG had TransGo CQ has CK.

"Original" Art Carr shift kit from Kirban, no dual feed, no issues, no hunting. 250+ passes. Big boost valve, all the billet guts except 4th gear planet, and most of the other common tweaks.

Thanks for the replies

CK's kit works fine and I had it installed for many years without this 2-3 shift issue until I did the 3-2 control valve mod to try and firm up 3rd gear shift. Also never had this happen before in any of the other Buicks I've had but its nice to know its not just me and that I did not mess up something when putting the trans back together. I'll keep driving it as is for a while to see how often it happens and then decide if its staying or going back to stock.

Thanks for the replies

CK's kit works fine and I had it installed for many years without this 2-3 shift issue until I did the 3-2 control valve mod to try and firm up 3rd gear shift. Also never had this happen before in any of the other Buicks I've had but its nice to know its not just me and that I did not mess up something when putting the trans back together. I'll keep driving it as is for a while to see how often it happens and then decide if its staying or going back to stock.

What is the 3-2 control valve mod??

Thanks

What is the 3-2 control valve mod??

Thanks

Basicaly a modification that canges the function of the factory 3/2 control valve to improve 3rd gear shift firmness. Sorry but I'm not going to go into details on how to do it since its part of CK's shift recalibration kit.