2nd generation camaros

lieu910

Any 2nd gen camaro fans here? I own a 70/rs/ss and am thinking of picking up a '79 also. Good looking cars, cheap to build and parts are easily attainable.

Right here dude :D

My first car was a '77 Camaro, I'd love to get another one some day. Probably the ugliest Camaro's ever ('74-'77), but I like 'em. Almost bought one last year as a project car, but lack of space killed the plan, Someday though. Most of the '74-'81 cars are still cheap compared to the earlier models.

My brother has an '80 Z28 that he's planning on back-halving. It's in pieces now (a LOT of pieces), but our friend Tom and I have been trying to get him motivated.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/526835/8

Steve

Originally posted by Black Box
My first car was a '77 Camaro, I'd love to get another one some day.

Mine too, I really thought it was something because '77 was the last year for chrome bumpers. Mine even had rear window louvers. And yes, I HAD a mullet:D

2nd gens are good cars they rust like mad but make great drag cars .I know a few friends that run em and i can't believe the 60 fts they get .I watched a few that run 10 inch tire and get 1.25 60fts like nothing with slapper bars .I also had 1979 z28 back in the day with a pair of 15 inch evs on the deck with a pair of sanyo 100 and you could hear me coming for blocks that back window throws some sound out hehe . I have a 70 cowmaro that i need to get on the ball with soon .

My first car was a 77 z28. I still have it, 16 years later. Yes, I was sporting a mullet, and a sound system that sported nothing but 80's hair bands! :) It was black of course. I think they only made about 10k z28's that year, so its one of the lowest z28 production years.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
My first car was a 77 z28. I still have it, 16 years later.

Got pics of the Z? I'd love to get another Camaro, but have been eyeing '76 -'77 Cutlass S / 442's lately. I had the opportunity to buy a '77 Z28 in '96, black 4speed car with no power options, 8K miles for $8500. I still kick myself for buying a bike instead. :mad:

'77 Z28's seem like a good bargain in the musclecar world. They haven't escalated in value that much yet, which is surprising, considering their relatively low production numbers.

I had a 73 Z-28 back in 1979. It had 28k on it. It was heads & tails better in braking, handling than my 65 GTO.

The later years like 79 to 81 are cheap to build up. They are the forgotten bastard childs.

My father has a green 74' Z28 badge car 383 / 4speed man. I would not say they are "cheep" to fix up. I guess it depends how much you want out of the car. He got the car for 4k a few years ago and now after a rebuilt M22 a fresh 383, new paint & body, wheels and interior hes up to 15K. I always liked the cars. Great look to them but I would take a 77 T/A any day for a second gen FBody.

I had crager SST's on my z too. I'm trying to find some pics. I had 10" wheels on the back though.

Originally posted by gordyzx9r
My friend had that exact same car in HS. His father caught him racing and then it sat in the garage for his entire senior year.
Did he have my old car, or you mean a '79 Z28?? I always wondered where that car ended up and heck yea I'd buy it back if it were in the same or similar condition :)

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Did he have my old car, or you mean a '79 Z28?? I always wondered where that car ended up and heck yea I'd buy it back if it were in the same or similar condition :)

Probably just an identical car, this was in Billings, MT back in '90. His father had a white and blue one as well.

I have a 79 Z-28 that I bought in 1994 from the 2nd owner it had 42000 original miles then. It was black with gold stripes. I had it repainted solid black, even the trim. The only thing shiny on it is the Convo-Pro wheels. It was a factory 4 speed car until I put the built 400 sb in it, then it got a TH-350 with a 3000 stall.

I have sold the 400 and bought a 350 4 bolt that was going to be a 383 with dual stage nitrous, but after getting into turbo power, I am leaning towards not stroking and doing a single turbo with a blow-through carb.

So far the machine work is done with studs and I have a steel crand and H beams.

I should be getting further once I get my Buick running again.

Billy

Heres my 73 Camaro, ran mid 10's with the big block ... now building a small block turbo combo. :D

8.jpg

9.jpg

feb5.jpg

CalgaryGN,
What kind of fuel/boost management are you using? Knock detector, wb 02 or egt? That is essentially what I want to do with my Z. That way I'll have a turbo 4 (eagle talon tsi), a turbo 6 (gn) and a turbo 8 (77z28).

It looks nice!

that black 2nd gen looks very nice! You don't see too many nice 2nd gens here in Albuquerque New Mexico :\

my brother has a '72 for sale with a 355 thats been balanced and align honed with all forged bottom end with a comp cams 292h camshaft with a .5 lift and 292 degrees of advertised duration. proform 1.6 roller rockers. it inhales through holley 670 street avenger carb into a weiand x-celarator single plane intake. it exhales through a set of hooker full length competition headers some dumps. the turbo 350 just had a bad ass rebuild with a shiftkit and all the bullet proof racing clutches. topped off with a 3,000 stall converter. it has an Accel HEI with a msd 6al box. He's asking 6,100 figured I would put the word out. here are some pics. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/440731