295-50-15 and 8.5 Vector Rims

Raymond, I mounted a 275-50/15 on a 8.5 inch Vector that I would guess is the identical wheel that you have and no way it'll fit. I realize there are differences in the tolerances from side to side / car to car, but on mine (with aluminum drums), no way. My goal was a stock, not elevated ride height, full of rubber - something that wouldn't rub say pulling into an angled/inclined driveway etc... I just measured the backspacing @ 3 5/8" on my wheels and believe 4" may get me there. Replacing my aluminum drums with steel will gain me a little, and another more bizarre idea I am considering is having Moser make me another set of axles around 1/4" shorter (have to check the brakeshoe wear pattern inside the drums to see if that much could be gained) to get me the extra 3/8" that I think I need. Personal preference, but I hate the look of my car with 275-60/15 with the "stinkbug" stance, and figure these wheels and 3.23 gears will be perfect. Good Luck!

Turbo T/A 1543 said:
Raymond, I mounted a 275-50/15 on a 8.5 inch Vector that I would guess is the identical wheel that you have and no way it'll fit. I realize there are differences in the tolerances from side to side / car to car, but on mine (with aluminum drums), no way. My goal was a stock, not elevated ride height, full of rubber - something that wouldn't rub say pulling into an angled/inclined driveway etc... I just measured the backspacing @ 3 5/8" on my wheels and believe 4" may get me there. Replacing my aluminum drums with steel will gain me a little, and another more bizarre idea I am considering is having Moser make me another set of axles around 1/4" shorter (have to check the brakeshoe wear pattern inside the drums to see if that much could be gained) to get me the extra 3/8" that I think I need. Personal preference, but I hate the look of my car with 275-60/15 with the "stinkbug" stance, and figure these wheels and 3.23 gears will be perfect. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I too do not like the stinkbug stance ;) LOL! Anyway, I know some folks are using the 275-50-15 ok, but i just want a little wider. I actually was running the 295-50-15 on stock t rims and no issues -w- metal drums and still have these tires is the only real reason why I'm inquiring about it. I may just try it anyhow and will let everyone know how it turns out for future reference.

Ray