285mph buick v6 Trans Am

Did you guys notice how high the hood grew up from the high speed of the wind hitting the front of the car. :eek:

Wow, that is sick and with only 22lbs of boost making it look easy!!!:eek:

Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Look at it again Richie!

Its amazing on how smooth it looks running at 281mph

Watch the video again and at the 1:34 second mark U will see me in my White T pass him with my hand out the window holding up the number 1 finger!:D

Watch the video again and at the 1:34 second mark U will see me in my White T pass him with my hand out the window holding up the number 1 finger!:D

This is the only thing that i can see thats white:biggrin:

Attachments

• a-1374.gif
    a-1374.gif
    59.5 KB · Views: 876
Is that production or Stage II headed?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a while back it was Stage2 headed. Wish I could find some more details and maybe some current pics of this car. It's too bad Mr. Rains isn't a member on here.

I'm curious. Does that class allow heads other than what was offered on factory production vehicles?

I'm curious. Does that class allow heads other than what was offered on factory production vehicles?

Don,

From what I read the class John runs in is a production based class that states that you must use the stock factory body and they also state that you must use the same engine configuration that was originally available for that year, make, and model. For example, you could not use a turbocharged engine unless it was a factory option and the engine must use the same number of cylinders and basic block configuration. Because the '89 TTA was based on a Stage2 Indy Race program using the Stage2 block and heads with a few test cars I believe they let the Stage2 stuff in. I could be wrong but that was my understanding from what I read on the 'net.

Attachments

• bonn101199.jpg
    bonn101199.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 891
Last time I read the rules for production classes, the heads had to be available on showroom production cars, and at least 500 had to have been sold to the general public. The production style port orientations had to be followed.

One year I went to Bonneville with a friend and his father who had a rulebook. That car was up there and I looked up the class that he was running in then. I don't remember now what that class was. He definitely had Stage II heads on the car, and the rules clearly stated that production, available to the public on production cars, heads had to be used. I think some tech fellas turned their heads on that tech inspection. Too bad for the fellas that used to hold the record or those that are trying to grab the record legitimately. The Stage II heads are definitely an unfair advantage. Lucky for them most hotrodders don't know about them.

I don't mind that a Buick engine grabbed a record. I think it's great. I just hate to see that someone feels they need to cheat to do it. And, so blatantly too. I hold no respect for someone like that.

That's an impressive accomplishment!

I think its pretty earlier to accuse anyone of "cheating" when no one seems to be exactly sure what the rules are and what he was running at the time. Until someone posts a copy of the rule book showing that only production heads are allowed I think the guy at least deserves the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: I did about 5 minutes of searching on the internet and this is what I came up with.

The Class designation of BGC was listed as this on the SCTA website:

GAS COUPE and SEDAN - /BGC, /GC

This class encompasses coupes, sedans, and convertibles which must have an engine swap, quickchange rear end, or a non-stock supercharger, any one of which makes the car ineligible for competition in Production class. Gas Coupe class includes Camaros, Barracudas, 1958 or later T-Birds, Mustangs, compacts and other cars of this type. 500 must have been produced yearly.

Engines classes allowed are: AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I,J, XF, XO, XXF, XXO

The D engine designation was listed as an engine of 261-305 cubic inches.

I am sure there are more rules but from the class designation listed on the the SCTA webiste it doesn't say 100% production engines only and it even allows for engine swaps.

That's an impressive accomplishment!

I think its pretty earlier to accuse anyone of "cheating" when no one seems to be exactly sure what the rules are and what he was running at the time. Until someone posts a copy of the rule book showing that only production heads are allowed I think the guy at least deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Unless he's in a more allowing class than he was back then, and/or they changed the rules, he's cheating. There's no question about that. The rulebook back then was very clear and I got an over the fender look at the heads. I sure hope someone can prove me wrong in this case. But, as the old saying goes, once a cheater, always a cheater.

edit-The rules are more extensive. Someone needs to come up with a rulebook. Or,... maybe I can contact my old friend. I'm sure his dad is keeping up with the latest rulebooks. He's really into the speed record stuff.

I'll check into it. Good idea. BGC/D. -end edit

Unless he's in a more allowing class than he was back then, and/or they changed the rules, he's cheating. There's no question about that. The rulebook back then was very clear and I got an over the fender look at the heads. I sure hope someone can prove me wrong in this case. But, as the old saying goes, once a cheater, always a cheater.

Wow, check the edit I did to my post above. The class he is running even allows for an engine swap according the SCTA that sanctions the race. So bascially you are calling the guy a cheater and the officials inept becuase you once glanced at a rule book? What class was he running when you think he was cheating?

Wow, check the edit I did to my post above. The class he is running even allows for an engine swap according the SCTA that sanctions the race. So bascially you are calling the guy a cheater and the officials inept becuase you once glanced at a rule book? What class was he running when you think he was cheating?

I don't just think he was cheating back then, he was. The rulebook was very clear on the heads allowed. Have you ever read the SCTA rulebook?

I just left a message with my friend to get back to me. I'll hunt down a real up-to-date rulebook for you.

As I stated, I don't remember what class it was back then. I think it was the same. Not sure. The rulebook is very specific on the heads in most classes.

Stay tuned.

I remember someone once posting that they wanted to go after this record. I informed them that the current record holder had used illegal heads. I told him that if he thought he could make it through tech without someone blowing the whistle on him, maybe even the current record holder?, go for it. But if he can't get through tech, it would have been a big waste of time and money.

edit- He had the rulebook and didn't argue with me.