275x60x15 mt drag radials/backspacing

Renato Velati

Ok, iv'e changed my mind for now and i'm not going to notch my rear frame rails. I know this question has been asked many times but here goes; I want to go with a 15x10 rim with a 275x60x15 mt drag radial, what backspacing should I go with, will I have to roll the fender lip? The reason for the 15x10 rim is that in the future i'd like to go with a 325 drag radial, so this way I wont have to buy another set of rims. I'm guessing a 5.5 backspacing?

Ok, iv'e changed my mind for now and i'm not going to notch my rear frame rails. I know this question has been asked many times but here goes; I want to go with a 15x10 rim with a 275x60x15 mt drag radial, what backspacing should I go with, will I have to roll the fender lip? The reason for the 15x10 rim is that in the future i'd like to go with a 325 drag radial, so this way I wont have to buy another set of rims. I'm guessing a 5.5 backspacing?

325 really needs a frame notch to work properly, unless you jack the back end way up, where a 275 doesn't, so it would be tough to get the perfect wheel for both tires.

5.5" BS will work, because you can space it out with adapters with 275's and run it without wheel adapters (maybe a small spacer might be needed) but with a frame notch with 325's.

4.5" BS or less with 325's on a 10" rim would require you to radius the wheel well to work (or jacking the car way up)

I've noticed that a few members were running 15x8 with 4" backspacing on a 275x60x15 rim and no rubbing issues at all. What about a 15x10 with a 5" backspacing with the 275x60x15 tire? This way If I ever decide to go with the 325's i wont have to buy new rims, just frame notching and possible rolling the fender lip.

Just throwing it out there, I ran 16x9.5 on the rear of my 79. Had steel drums with 1/8 spacers I believe. BUT I was running 255/50. No rubbing! Looked bad ass too:cool: