275/60's on a 15x8 4" BS - will they rub?

cdub

I Want to Go Fast
I know there are a lot of posts about tire sizes but I have been unable to find an answer to this question. This is a sunny day street car, will see the track occasionally but street 99%. I'm having some serious traction issues with my current rubber and would like to gain as much traction as I can without rubbing or notching the frame, also not looking to sacrifice much in the way of handling as this is a street car. I haven’t ordered anything yet so I'm looking for input before I drop $1500+ on new tires & rims.

Currently the plan is to run 275/60/15 MT ET Street Radials on stock appearing 15x8" 4" back space gn rims from gbodyparts in the rear.

235/60/15 MT ET Street Radials on the stock 15x7" 3.5 BS rims in the front. First question is it ok to run the MT ET's up front? If not what would be the recommended front tires?

Thats exactly what I have. My BFG radial tires dont rub but my Drag Radials do if I hit a good bump because I havent rolled the lip. I run 205/75/15 radials up front on 15x4's just because its a better safer and long lasting tire and will help if ya get caught in the rain. You should be fine. I even have Eibach Prokit lowering springs.

Here:

Attachments

• Jason%27sHotrod010.jpg
    Jason%27sHotrod010.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,590
  • Jason%27sHotrod001.jpg
    Jason%27sHotrod001.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2,576
Thanks for the info and the pics. I would think you would loose a lot of handling from your fronts? How does it handle on the street?

Thanks! Extremely well actually. The ride is great and handles like a dream even in curves. I dont have a front sway bar, but I do have HRParts big rear anti-roll bar, boxed lower control arms, new body bushing, and Competition Engineering shocks all the way around. I drove it to Bowling Green last year with no probs.

Given that I can buy a 15x8", 15x8.5" or 15x10" rim for the rears, would I be better off with an 8.5" or 10" rim instead of the 8"? Do both of them fit without the tire sticking out of the fender well?

Will i need to regear my diff for a 28" tire?

Stick with an 8" rim because it will make your tires look fatter and wider plus you'll have room. Nope you dont need to re-gear at all if its the stock GN rear with 3.42's

Jason

Looks real nice, your rear is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, always helps to see exactly what I will be getting. I think I will be fine since yours is lowered, I should have no issues.

I'm still leaning towards the 235/60's in the front, i wanted 225/60's but the 235/60's are the smallest 15" MT ET Street's Raidials with tubes. Any issues running tubes on the back and not on the front. Can get the tubeless in 225/50 or 205/50.

Im not running tubes. You shouldnt have to. No rubbing on front either.

I'm wondering if a 4" height differential between front and rear would be too much and look a bit off.

205/75/15 = 27x8" if my calculations are correct?

I think I'd be better of sticking with a 235/60 or 225/60

Looks real nice, your rear is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, always helps to see exactly what I will be getting. I think I will be fine since yours is lowered, I should have no issues.

I'm still leaning towards the 235/60's in the front, i wanted 225/60's but the 235/60's are the smallest 15" MT ET Street's Raidials with tubes. Any issues running tubes on the back and not on the front. Can get the tubeless in 225/50 or 205/50.

ET street radials on the front would be a huge mistake. Talk about poor handling.

Also, you don't need to run tubes with any drag radials. There is zero reason to.

Theres always stock height 215x65x15-without the drop springs you should be fine-i have them on my car with 15x9 rims-wouldnt go any wider than 9 if you want them under the wheel well without notching the frame.

ET street radials on the front would be a huge mistake. Talk about poor handling.

Also, you don't need to run tubes with any drag radials. There is zero reason to.

That’s what I was thinking, just wanted a 2nd opinion on it. I'm thinking I will just keep the 225/60/15 Michelin pilot XGT V4's I have up front, that’s a 2.4" difference in tire height from back to front, and only 1.2" difference in ride height.

No tubes is the way to go imo, the page I was using specifically stated tubes for 1 and not on the other so I was operating on the assumption that the one that didn’t say "tubeless" had a tube. After looking up the same tire on summit's site I see they are both tubeless.

Ordered 2x 15x7", 2x 15x8" gn style wheels from gbodyparts and 2x 270/60/15 MT ET Street Radials (tubeless) this morning. Also picked up an alkycontrol kit from Razor, with all that extra power and rubber, it's gonna be fun the next time I get to the track :biggrin:

I have the 275/60-15 ET Street drag radials with 15 x 8 Welds with 4" BS. I had to put some 5/16 spacers and ARP(2.5 inch) wheel studs.

I still dont have traction.....:cool:

Attachments

• 1122.jpg
    1122.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,278
  • 2233.jpg
    2233.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,292