27 psi...getting nervous

87NAT

In Between GN's
Well I finally had time to test out my new alky kit from Razor and I am at 27 #'s of boost with denatured alcohol (waiting on meth) and no knock. I just cant believe it...:eek:

My scanmaster is at 770-790 with no knock thru all 4 gears. My default timing on my TT chip is 23/21...Should I start bumping it up? How many degress at a time? Should I do first/second gear only or all 4 gears?
I already increased WOT fuel in all gears by 10%. I guess I can run this much boost all day as long as I have no knock right?

Razor I am not questioning your kit, I have been running these cars since 1993 and its hard to accept the fact that running that much boost will not eject the headgaskets from the motor. I guess it will take some getting use to....you know, seeing the boost gauge go waayyyy over there!

Another satisfied customer.:)

27 psi is quite impressive with no KR. O2's look good if those readings are for 3rd gear pulls. Run it to the top of 3rd....if no KR then you are good to go! I wouldnt pull it through OD with 27psi and pump gas/alchy though. I really never see a need for OD anyways. Running these cars through 4th will result in a blown headgasket at those boost levels.

Why would running it in OD blow the headgaskets? The most load is in 3rd gear. 27 is incredible. Great work guys. Eric and Razor make a killer setup.

Jason

You have to watch performance. If increasing boost doesnt make more MPH.. then you need to back it down.

See the decision to increase power needs to be worked on. And arbitrairily going to 30 PSI doesnt mean anything if the air is stacking up inside the engine. Boost is a restriction. If exhuast is open and its making more power.. your then on part limitations. As to when the HG's will let go.. a lot sooner on someone running 30 than someone else at 22. And the higher the timing, higher the boost.. a little oil gets in there.. it will KR.

Glad you like the ability to put some squeeze on the motor.. careful with the greed.. its a tough one to control.

As always I will listen to "someone much older and wiser than myself":biggrin:

I will scale it back to around 23psi and tune for best numbers till I make it to the track. Thanks for the info.

As always I will listen to "someone much older and wiser than myself":biggrin:

I will scale it back to around 23psi and tune for best numbers till I make it to the track. Thanks for the info.

i would leave some room for temperature changes one run maybe good and next pass or 2 could be different as the day goes on its better to be a tad fat than lean

Why would running it in OD blow the headgaskets? The most load is in 3rd gear. 27 is incredible. Great work guys. Eric and Razor make a killer setup.

Jason

The most load is in 4th gear, a higher tranny ratio puts the motor under more load. 27 psi is a lot of boost. The other day on my dads 86 GN i had it up to 27-28 psi with no knock and 02s in the 800-810 area on a PAC alky kit. The car felt incredible, but i decided to back it back down to 25 to play it safe.

Thanks for all the input guys. My deltagate(which I bought used) was stuck open and I could only get around 18-20 psi out of her. When I fixed it this morning I got "boost" happy, but I will turn it down and heed everyones advice.

What do you think?

Hey Razor!!
What do you think about the SMC kit? I know it isnt your kit but would you say it still is a good kit? Comment please:) .

Hey Razor!!
What do you think about the SMC kit? I know it isnt your kit but would you say it still is a good kit? Comment please:) .

Steve has his way of doing things. I have mine. And understand the latter the model of his/my system is.. the more improvements that have been made.

The first gen versions of the SMC kit are no where as nice as the current offerings. Same can be said on mine.

To quantify a response, an old used kit doesnt compare to a brand new one. And new offerings are more advanced since there is a record of failure/success employed in design.

Hope this helps.

Steve has his way of doing things. I have mine. And understand the latter the model of his/my system is.. the more improvements that have been made.

The first gen versions of the SMC kit are no where as nice as the current offerings. Same can be said on mine.

To quantify a response, an old used kit doesnt compare to a brand new one. And new offerings are more advanced since there is a record of failure/success employed in design.

Hope this helps.
:smile: Well said :cool:

Just thinking....

which one do you prefer....SMC or Razor to get the most out of your car with pump gas???

just thinking...

Hope this helps.
I was just thinking of getting a alky kit but i want the best kit i can get for my internaly stock G/N, see i have a GT 61 turbo hooker headers 50# injetors Kenn Bell Big Boy Intercooler ATR 3'' singal exhust art carr 9'' converter 3.73 gear metco lower controll arms Chip that im not sure of just yet i havent pulled it yet see i bought the car this way and was said to have ran 11.30s at 118 to 119 mph at around 20 psi on 109 with a 1.59 60ft so i was thinking if thats what it really ran which i will find out then maybe i can sqeeze out some more and hit the magic # the 10s with pump gas and alky!
oh the engine has 22,000 original miles on the clock.
What are your thoughts?

I was just thinking of getting a alky kit but i want the best kit i can get for my internaly stock G/N, see i have a GT 61 turbo hooker headers 50# injetors Kenn Bell Big Boy Intercooler ATR 3'' singal exhust art carr 9'' converter 3.73 gear metco lower controll arms Chip that im not sure of just yet i havent pulled it yet see i bought the car this way and was said to have ran 11.30s at 118 to 119 mph at around 20 psi on 109 with a 1.59 60ft so i was thinking if thats what it really ran which i will find out then maybe i can sqeeze out some more and hit the magic # the 10s with pump gas and alky!
oh the engine has 22,000 original miles on the clock.
What are your thoughts?
No offense,
I think you've been lied too. There is no way an internally stock motor will run 11.3 on 20 PSI.118 to 119 means its making ~450 to the wheels.
Now at 28 PSI.. sure/maybe. Research stock longblock cars and see what they run and how much boost it takes to get them there.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...umbers-bone-stock-motor.html?highlight=mooney

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/al...-tech/185300-another-alkycontrol-victory.html

Can the motor make it into the 10's.. sure.. but it needs to be squeezed to do so.

HTH