255-55-15?

i'm looking to get as fat as possible on a stock rim without rubbin', using spacers or "fixin'" the frame. was offered a set 16 x 8 rims and 4 255/50/16 tires. don't know the back space yet so don't know if they'll work. But, none the less, i like the idea of the wider tire, while maintaining stock tire height. doing the math the 255/55/15 would be perfect. however, i'm still worried that they will rub up front. back, from what i gather should be fine.
started with stock dimension tires, bot some 235/60/15 tires and like the improved handling. figured wider would be better. as far as drag radials go, i've sorta set the car up to chase down porsches in the twistys, and not straight line bursts. thats not to say that i don't like doing it, but i've been road racing for years and love the idea of a mid '80's buick chasing and passing "uber" cars where they think they rule, twistys. So, my focus has been on improved handling and braking. trying to get the 4 biggest contact patches i can. that is, without rubbing, spacing or notching. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. haven't even opened up the camber/toe can of worms yet.

Changing the overall height slightly isn't going to kill anyone, if it makes it easier to find a tire size that works.

i'm sure your right. What i'm worried about is tickets. i've got absolutely no, as in zero, room for an other speeding ticket. maybe my question should be, does a "taller" tire give you a higher speedo reading or lower. Damn, i feel retarded. the more i try to figure it out the worse my eyes cross. lets say i get a 27 inch tall tire (stock being just a tad over 26 inches, and i'm going down the freeway at what my speedo says is 69 mph. am i really going faster or slower? i know it is a small difference, but i wierd about wanting to know exaclty how fast i'm going. probably a moot point! factory speedo is probably way off to start with. question for you then, what size tires do you think i should get to optimize car handling for track day driving/road racing?

What will handle best and what is widest are two completely different things.

G-bodies understeer a ton. Putting wider tires in back only makes them understeer a ton more.

for "track day" performance on stock wheels, yout best bet would be performance 235/60's all around, which is what you have.

245/60's will also work, but if you lowered the car, you may get rubbing in front. Some 245/60's are much taller than others (27+ vs 26.5" inches) so this might be a factor, too.

From there, the next logical step up is 16 or 17" wheels and 245 or 255's.

i have 265-50-15 on stock rims & they dont rub. (i do have air bags,just to keep it level.)