218 comp cam

BMR

Bad Medicine Racing
I bought my 86 Grand National not running. I got it home and after fixing some things, I got it running. The engine was knocking and I am finally getting the block and rotating assembly back this week.

When someone rebuilt it, probably in the late 90s as the bearings were dated 97, they tossed a 218 comp cam in it.

Now for my goals. The car is going to be a driver, probably never have a loose converter or large turbo. So I am debatng putting this 218 back in to save some cash since the machine work came out WAY more expensive than I had planned. It ended up needing bored 30 and all the rods were conditioned with ARP rod bolts. I also elected to have it balanced since my machinist felt like it was a good idea.

I was glad I dropped the $200 on that work as it was 98 grams out one way and 93 the other. For some reason yhe crank I had was extremely light.

Anyway, thats neither here not there, should I use this 218 or drop the $180 for a 206 in an otherwise stock motor? A local guy that had a fairly quick GN a few years ago feels like the 218 is too big. I am just curious what the consensus here is. Thanks for the help.

218 is a big cam for even a fully built 109. If you don't plan on any major upgrades the 206 should be more than enough cam for a stock motor.

I agree I had a 212/212 took it out and put a 204/210 in I think you will be happier with the smaller cam I guess your talking flat tappet less stress on the springs have more chance of it living

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk