204/214 cam (likes/dislikes)

SCD

I have an 87 stock GN. It needs a cam. Anyone run 204/214 cam?

Any comments;advantagesor disavantages?

Thanks
Steve

I have recomended the 204/214 to many people on here

I'd like to see who all likes and who all dont

I like mine and my motor likes it too :D

If you plan to remain stock I'd say 194/204 but if you plan to uprade stuff later the 204/214 would be the ticket

UH HO, here we go again for another long debate. If you are really interested in this cam then read the post of the folks who are actually using it, not the ones theorizing about it. This cam just flat works.

Only disadvantages I have found so far probably will not apply to you. Because I am running 3.07 gears, I have to leave with a little more boost to have full boost come on quicker. The other problem is that at about 5000 RPMs in 1st, my tires get annihalted forcing me to buy bigger tires. We should all have that problem :D

Idle and around-town driving just like stock.

I love mine, the whole powerband is amazing and it never stops pulling, its a great cam.

Two Lane I have noticed this as well, i think its because it is so close to the original cam specs compared to most aftermarket cams and seeing how most stockers seem to last forever but im no expert. I have heard of one failure on the typical #3 lobe due to lifter bore misalignment.

HTH

That reference is made from the fact that very few of them have been reported as wiping lobes as compared to other brands/grinds, as contained in the threads, posts, and archives of www.turbobuick.com submitted by its world-wide membership.

HTH

:)

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
Two Lane I have noticed this as well, i think its because it is so close to the original cam specs compared to most aftermarket cams and seeing how most stockers seem to last forever but im no expert. I have heard of one failure on the typical #3 lobe due to lifter bore misalignment.

Just like you, JD, we've heard of very few of these cams failing.

After Red's success with this grind, more than a few guys have reported using them, & the vast majority must be doing fine...or we'd have heard from most of them by now.

Very glad we weren't the only ones noticing these cams seeming to do well compared to some other flat tappet brands/grinds.

Your idea as to why sounds like a logical possibility. :)

Re: HTH

Originally posted by Two Lane
That reference is made from the fact that very few of them have been reported as wiping lobes as compared to other brands/grinds, as contained in the threads, posts, and archives of www.turbobuick.com submitted by its world-wide membership.HTH :)

That is "information" but no facts or data? There have actually been very few 204/214 cams installed, and only recently have they been done or talked about.

For example, the 206/206 flat tappet has been around for many years and lots more in use. I have personally installed many and know of many more installed, of which none have reported failure.

Maybe I am particular at times, but like to see opinions separated from facts. Usually people would rather make a tech decision based upon actual data or facts rather than opinions.:)

Nick, you know what I always say: bad tech is better than no tech at all. :D I sure would like to see some tech "advisor"s combos to see how the parts are working out from their personal experience.

You guys are killing me here! :D I have never had a flat tappet cam fail, so based on my survey of myself, I declare the problem is all in your heads! HTH!

:)

Seriously, you can get these 204/214, a 208/208, and some other Erson grinds for dirt cheap. They are variously labeled as Blue Wolverine and other brands by resellers.

I'd love to see dyno charts of this cam to see where the powerband is. I'd also like to see a smog test done with it for us Cali guys....