2010 Nissan Altima issues...what a POS

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
My wife had to have this new Nissan Altima....I agree she did need a new car, but this will be our last brand new car and for sure our last Nissan ever. She was complaning of a ticking noise, which sounded almost like a card in a bicycle tire, that varied with RPM.

We took it in, they said the CVT transmission was malfunctioning and it wasn't serviceable, so they threw a new transmission in....at 8500 miles. We get it back, and the noise is worse. Took it back and they said that's just what they do. After taking it to another dealer, they determine it's a torque multiplier switch, so they replace that. Noise got quieter for a few days, then came back.

After taking it back to dealer #2 again, they determine that its actually in the engine and the #3 cylinder had about 20% of the compression of the rest. They replaced the entire engine (and had to put new rotors on at 17K miles, due to severe warping, which I know was not our abuse, she drives like an old lady)

I know some of you will say, what's the big deal, you have a whole new drivetrain....but seriously, if you can't make a powertrain that will last 15K miles, quit making cars.

Every dog has its day. You were just unfortunate enough to have it happen to you. If anything happens again, call a Lemon defect. Some cars just continue to have issues. Thats why the lemon law is in place. New car, hopefully no worries. My brother has a beautiful Infiniti G35 coupe, and he has yet to have a problem with it. I have a 1986 Nissan 720 Pick Up that has yet to fail me once! Nice little truck, plenty of power, lots of fun off road!

Nissan has come along way . Their newer cars are alot better than the old ones. As for their cvt transmissions,They suck. We send a bunch to the dealer every week . I do make a boatload of money thanks to their crappy timing chain tensioners and guides.The same ones that are in that g35:eek:. Wait till the abs pump keeps running because of rust in the rear hubs.If that happens pull the abs relay.That pump is not cheap and is a pita to change. Good luck

Nissan has come along way . Their newer cars are alot better than the old ones. As for their cvt transmissions,They suck. We send a bunch to the dealer every week . I do make a boatload of money thanks to their crappy timing chain tensioners and guides.The same ones that are in that g35:eek:. Wait till the abs pump keeps running because of rust in the rear hubs.If that happens pull the abs relay.That pump is not cheap and is a pita to change. Good luck

Nissan.....another reason to be aggravated with the French.

Mine 240 has 250K on it, and doesn't give me any big problems (I replaced the tensioner's:p) . Im not a fan of ANY newer car 97' and up, too many problems, interiors rattle, check engine lights, Airbag lights, headlights fading :rolleyes:......... The quality just blows, especially with Saabs for some reason, everyone I've worked on was just crap :confused:. FWIW I would never buy anything with a CVT trans ;). I work at Kia and we have all types of problems with the new cars, try pulling a trans, replacing the diff inside, and putting it back in within the 5.2hrs warranty time :rolleyes:

I've got a '10 Altima 3.5SR. No issues with the trans. Runs strong. Did 14.7@97 only time at the track. I like the car. My son has a '10 Altima with the 4cyl. It also has the cvt trans. No issues with that one either...

I would say you are an exception. Nissan makes some pretty dam reliable vehicles. got 250k out of my 96 Maxima. but that sure would aggravate the hell outta me if I bought it new which is why I refuse to buy new

My company leased 19 new Nissan Sentras last fall, and 8 of them have already had failures with either the trans, or with electrical problems. Junk.