200r4 3rd gear

alliedmike

2 Cyl short NO PROBLEM
hey guys..I finished a complete on my 84 ...I sent the tranny out to get rebuilt at a local shop ...they seemed pretty competent and I was referred by many to this shop...long story short..it's been back there 3 times and it's only a little better than it was...I have a terrible issue with 2nd to 3rd not being firm..sometimes slightly over revving and seems at or near wot it has a slight slip .. I can feel myself not getting pulled into the seat any longer Thats the only way to describe it..I can feel it hard hooking in 1 st and in 2nd then 3rd comes and it just doesn't feel like it's pulling and then slightly over revs ...any thoughts"

What did they to as far as shift kit, what size boost valves PR spring in pump, what size holes in plate? What servo? What band? Did they set band clearance?

Sorry to hear of your transmission woes.
Hate to say it, but I'd recommend you tear it out (for the final time) and send it to a competent transmission builder....there's plenty of vendors on the board that can make it right. These guys will make your 200-4R sing..
David Husek (Turbo Buick Performance), Vince Janis (Janis Transmissions), Lonnie Diers (Extreme Automatics), Christoforos Kokkonis (CK Performance).

What did they to as far as shift kit, what size boost valves PR spring in pump, what size holes in plate? What servo? What band? Did they set band clearance?
Alright now those are some over my head questions.ha! I am going to go back down there tomorrow and have another conversation with this guy and while I'm at it I'll ask for a build sheet of some sort and I'll report back. Thank you

Hate to say it, but I'd recommend you tear it out (for the final time) and send it to a competent transmission builder....there's plenty of vendors on the board that can make it right. These guys will make your 200-4R sing..
David Husek (Turbo Buick Performance), Vince Janis (Janis Transmissions), Lonnie Diers (Extreme Automatics), Christoforos Kokkonis (CK Performance).
Well if I don't get anywhere with this guy I guess I don't have a choice. I will definitely contact someone recommended on the site...I just don't know how much more I can sink into this car..so far restoration has cost me a boat load to do it from the ground up ..and that's doing everything but the trans and rear end myself. Ugh ..transmissions they are a mystery

You have a 2-3 shift timing problem causing a flare. The band has to release and the direct clutches apply to complete a 2-3 shift. Those that build high Perfomance transmissions know where to go to prevent this problem. Its very likely the direct clutches are wasted in your trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good trans people all. Let's not forget Bison,he is just as good

Sorry you are having probs. As with many you too are learning that while there are those who can assemble a 2004r, making one live and shift well takes some well earned experience.
im a d husek deciple but any of those mentioned and stevev are all good choices.

So I decided to pull the servo apart and was going to check clearance on the apply pin thinking maybe the clearance was set wrong...well this is what I found ..anyone have an explanation

Attachments

• 143500995922387559977.jpg
    143500995922387559977.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 286
Also on the piston of the servo there are 2 tapered o rings...they look as they are installed backwards. The wide part of the taper is facing forward as into the transmission i would think they should be the other way otherwise it looks as it would catch as it is installed. Any thoughts on that?

Time to go get your money back that shop is no good. Take the servo down there and say WTF.

WTF got into the servo cavity to do that?!?! I'm gonna guess it ruined the case as well.. feel up in there, is there a broken spring or debris in the servo or ????

Seals appear to be installed correctly but wheres the cushion spring? broken inside the case?

Yeah there will be a ton of explaining to do.....and the case feels ok..there is a slight roughness at the 6 o'clock position but it's not anything like the servo I am almost thinking that this happened prior to install? To tear it up that bad espicslly torn up on the lip where the. Seal is...and the cushion spring...hmm don't think here was one in there

Yeah there will be a ton of explaining to do.....and the case feels ok..there is a slight roughness at the 6 o'clock position but it's not anything like the servo I am almost thinking that this happened prior to install? To tear it up that bad espicslly torn up on the lip where the. Seal is...and the cushion spring...hmm don't think here was one in there
So what was the outcome as far as the shop making it right?
Sorry I can't sleep so I figured I'd be nosy lol.

So what was the outcome as far as the shop making it right?
Sorry I can't sleep so I figured I'd be nosy lol.
Ok so I went down and had a conversation with the tranny shop last week no body has an explanation on how the servo got eaten up like it did. They are saying it happened in the trans mission there is no way it got damaged out side the trans and then installed..(..take that for what it's worth. )... but they want to make it right so i dropped the car off Monday. I stopped in around lunchtime today and the car was on the lift and the tranny was on the bench it was not taken apart yet but in the pan they found metal pieces and I guess a lot of metal stuck to the magnet in the pan ...that's all I have so far I will update you guys when I km now more

Ok so I went down and had a conversation with the tranny shop last week no body has an explanation on how the servo got eaten up like it did. They are saying it happened in the trans mission there is no way it got damaged out side the trans and then installed..(..take that for what it's worth. )... but they want to make it right so i dropped the car off Monday. I stopped in around lunchtime today and the car was on the lift and the tranny was on the bench it was not taken apart yet but in the pan they found metal pieces and I guess a lot of metal stuck to the magnet in the pan ...that's all I have so far I will update you guys when I km now more
Fingers crossed for you.