2004R - trouble with reverse and tcc when hot

350Rocket

Hey guys I've got an ongoing long term problem with my 2004R. It's now got over 210k miles on it. Its had an issue since about 100k miles ago after driving it somewhat hard in hot weather, then parking it for a little while, it would not want to engage in reverse. The problem went away almost completely after getting an auxiliary trans cooler, and getting the lockup torque converter working again. The odd time since then (about 6 years ago) it still doesn't want to go into reverse but very rarely. Yesterday the problem came back but it isn't that hot yet, and I wasn't driving it too hard and it wouldn't go into reverse or drive until I gave it a couple little revs and brought the pressure up enough then it worked fine. Also lockup works fine cold but once the car gets hot if I have to accelerate harder to pass or i slow down, it doesn't want to reengage lockup a lot of the time. Everything seems to be heat related. I'm thinking its getting a bit tired, the last 100k miles have been a lot of highway but also some very "spirited" driving and a lot of passes down the 1/4 mile track. The fluid is still nice and clean still, has been changed regularly and never gets dirty. Shifts are fairly hard at light throttle and normal at WOT, no slipping or shuddering or anything bad like that. Any suggestions? Oh ya and its Ford Mercon 5 fluid in it now with about 12k miles on it. Thanks.

Is it?

Full of fluid? Is the dipstick correct? Sounds like it is starving for fluid pick up at idle. Reverse takes the most pressure and volume to move. Maybe the filter is plugged up. OR is the neck on the filter cracked? Also, what orings did you use on the neck of the filter. Hopefully an orange thick one and not just a black rubber oring. But it sounds as if it is low on pressure at idle for some reason. Put a gauge on it and see what you get. That would be step one.
I know it sounds dumb, but try it.

Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services

Okay will see if I can borrow a pressure gauge. Fluid is just above full hasn't changed level in 12k miles since flushed last. I remember there being an orange gasket on the filter when installed. Hope I'm right. I'm just wondering what could cause lack of pressure at idle but not during acceleration or normal driving? Another thing is, this car is not computer controlled and if I remember right I think the non CCC cars had some kind of lockup valvetrain in the transmission, is that true? Wondering if that could cause my lockup problem when it gets hot?

Full of fluid? Is the dipstick correct? Sounds like it is starving for fluid pick up at idle. Reverse takes the most pressure and volume to move. Maybe the filter is plugged up. OR is the neck on the filter cracked? Also, what orings did you use on the neck of the filter. Hopefully an orange thick one and not just a black rubber oring. But it sounds as if it is low on pressure at idle for some reason. Put a gauge on it and see what you get. That would be step one.
I know it sounds dumb, but try it.

Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services

The lo reverse clutches never last that long in a 2004r.It is a miracle that they still have any lining left after 210k.When the car is in 3rd and 4th they are spinning against stationary steels with minimal lubrication and generally tend to fall apart .I suggest removing the transmission for inspection .Check for hard lip seals,the reverse circuit is not intricate r prone to leakage except when lip seal function is poor.

Well the transmission in the Cutlass has been fine since I posted this but my girlfriends 94 Grand Prix's transmission failed today without warning :-( so now shes going to be driving my winter beater 87 Caprice that also has a 2004R. The Cutlass has had the tcc hooked up so that it doesn't disengage when you let off the throttle, reducing the amount of times the tcc locks and unlocks when varying speeds because of traffic. I like this way better and wondering if I set the Caprice up that way? I honestly think my gf burned up her transmission faster because of how often that thing locked and unlocked the converter with her driving. She can't hold the speed steady as well as I can. lol