2004R CHECK BALL LOCATIONS

PaulRV6

There is a difference in where the check balls should go according to the ASTG manual and Art Carr instructions. Is there a concensus on how many to use and where they go? Can someone point me to the correct information on this. Thanks

paul

I was just wondering because the CK manual and CK shift kit instructions are different, the shift kit says to use 5 balls (leaving out 3rd and 3rd clutch accumulator). The manual says to install all 7 balls.
The Art Carr instructions use only 6, he leaves out 4th accumulator check ball.

Why the difference and what is the significance of leaving them out of 3rd or 4th?? These are in the case btw. Thanks

paul

I could not tell you what each does other than their descriptions. There is no one way to assemble one of these 2004r. Every builder has their own "secret receipe". Depending on who you are getting your advice/parts from is who I would listen to. I have instructions for a bunch of kits. They are on the net or I can pm you some links if you like. Lots of different ways to do things. The springs, balls, hole sizes, blocked orfices all are interdependent. One change can make big things happen or nothing happen differently depending on what is changed. This is why many like to start with the brf vb/gov combo as it gets you "in the ballpark" without much work.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Paul, I had the same concerns as you and went with the 'shift kit' instructions from Transgo on which to use, since that was the kit I used. Yes, they are slightly different from the ATSG manual but everything works OK. Good luck on your build.

Yes thanks this is the second time after frying the direct clutches. But it did work good for a while.
Paul