2002-2003 Nissan Maxima or Altima

tntdiablo

I'm looking for a 02-03 maxima prefer 6 speed or a 3.5 altima just to beat around in and drive to work,I use to have a 2000 maxima and loved it.Whats your opinions on the 3.5 motor and 6 speed trans.?

3.5 motor rocks. I had a 04 Max auto. It ran mid 14s stock and was nice and comfy. I didn't like the turning radius, they goofed on that.

I owned a 2006 3.5 automatic Altima. Great vehicle. 240hp, great gas mileage and handled well. Overall it was real fun to drive. Lot less expensive than the Maxima at the time. I bet you could get an 02-03 pretty cheap these days.

Max's eat trannies.... Altima's blow head gaskets.... I have lost tons on both...

Kinda the best of both worlds of a buick!:D

Get an Acura CL or TL type S. youll be happier with them I own an 03 cl-s and its great. Never let me down.. And has taken out plenty of maxima's and altima's for sure!!!

I've had 4 Nissan V6s all automatics. First was an 89 Max wag. Had 186k on it when I sold it. Ran great. Sold it cause it rusted out. Next was a 98 Max SE . Ran great never any issues with the drivetrain ran 16flat. Gave it to my son. Finally rusted out and he decided to get a 10 Altima with the 4 cyl. Got th 04 Max SE when I sold my 98 to my son. Drivetrain was great, ran strong never any issue. Loved the heated steering wheel in the winter, ran 14.6 at 96 all stock. Hated the color, dark blue, too hard to keep clean. Got a 10 Altima 3.5Sr. Runs strong, no issues with the CVT tranny and I run it hard, best et 14.9@99 all stock. Guess I'm lucky. I tried an Acura CL typeS when I was looking at the 04 Max. I hated the tranny. It was always downshifting or upshifting to find a gear it liked. Power was too peaky. No low end for around town street light blasts.

Nissan has come along way. The maxima is a nice car till the timing chain guide breaks. The nissan dealer we deal with say they are having problems with the cvt trans. My buddy bought two versas and he loves them except one has had a trans done already. If there is a warranty I would buy a Maxima. Have them warranty the front eletronic engine mount every 6 months and beat the beans out of it. Dont buy one without a warranty.

I've owned a 2001 Maxima 5-spd and 2003 Maxima Auto. Both were fully loaded, never, ever had issues with either one of them. Drove both over 125k. Wrecked the first one and just sold the 2nd one. I also loved the heated steering wheel on the 2003. The gas mileage wasn't the greatest on the 2003, never went over 22-23 mpg but otherwise no issues.

I'd stay clear on Nissan. I use only buy Nissan's since they came loaded with options...back when Honda and Toyota nickel and dimed you with no power windows, locks, cruise....

I don't care what Consumer Reports says! Drive and Honda or Toyota, then drive a Nissan. Nissans are not horrible cars but they are NOT the same as a Toyota or Honda.

If you don't put a ton of miles on the car I'd LEASE. I leased a 2012 Toyota Camry. Only pay $205/month for 3 years ($3500 down including fee's). ToyotaCare includes oil changes, tire rotation, lockout protection, flat tire changes, jump starts, fluid delivery and towing for the unexpected. Only thing you pay for is the payment.

If you buy a 2002-03 Nissan, your payments would be MORE than mine. Sure, you will own the 02/03 Maxima. But at the end of the 3/4 years, you will have a 12 or 13 year old Nissan with NO warranty, more maintainence and dealer's are not going to give you DICK for it if you want to trade it in. Not only can you drive a NEW vehicle every 3 years by leasing, vehicles are getting more fuel efficent more than ever. Why would you want to lock yourself into a 10 years old vehicle now?

Joe

I'd stay clear on Nissan. I use only buy Nissan's since they came loaded with options...back when Honda and Toyota nickel and dimed you with no power windows, locks, cruise....

I don't care what Consumer Reports says! Drive and Honda or Toyota, then drive a Nissan. Nissans are not horrible cars but they are NOT the same as a Toyota or Honda.

If you don't put a ton of miles on the car I'd LEASE. I leased a 2012 Toyota Camry. Only pay $205/month for 3 years ($3500 down including fee's). ToyotaCare includes oil changes, tire rotation, lockout protection, flat tire changes, jump starts, fluid delivery and towing for the unexpected. Only thing you pay for is the payment.

If you buy a 2002-03 Nissan, your payments would be MORE than mine. Sure, you will own the 02/03 Maxima. But at the end of the 3/4 years, you will have a 12 or 13 year old Nissan with NO warranty, more maintainence and dealer's are not going to give you DICK for it if you want to trade it in. Not only can you drive a NEW vehicle every 3 years by leasing, vehicles are getting more fuel efficent more than ever. Why would you want to lock yourself into a 10 years old vehicle now?

Joe

You'd make a good new car salesman:)

The main problem with the lease is the miles. If you live in an rural area people tend to eat those miles up and get busted in the end!

You'd make a good new car salesman:)

The main problem with the lease is the miles. If you live in an rural area people tend to eat those miles up and get busted in the end!

:p lol

Yeah, I only drive 3 miles to work. Maybe 8000 miles a year.

Max's eat trannies.... Altima's blow head gaskets.... I have lost tons on both...

Kinda the best of both worlds of a buick!:D

I really wanted the 2011 Buick Lacrosse in the Red Tintcoat. They were out of my price range at the time. I see they have come down in price lately. But the Camry is still a better car for me since my my main concern is resale and fuel mileage. Buick did a wonderful job on that series!!!