200 to 400 swap

Duke

what all is needed to make the swap from the 200 to 400
have; trans-- converter-- dipstick and tube---trans yoke
tried doing a search but got no results. thanks

the 3.8 flywheel has three bolt patterns so it bolts right up, you can get new bolts from arp

i wouldnt just throw any converter in there , make sure its ordered for turbo use (anti balloon plate ) and for your turbo and goals with a 3.8 ..call dusty
and the ptc (dusty) converters bolt up but you need to enlarge the existing holes for the larger bolts
you will need to slot the bolt holes in the stock 200 trans mount

if going full manual valve body which has constant line pressure you should do the pressure mod to restrict the cooler pressure, too high and the converter can push out against the crank and destroy the thrust bearing at #2, and if it hasnt been done already now is a good time to pull the pump and install a case saver to help protect the lands that hold the drum from coming forward

you can go aftermarket shifter for a three speed or replace the shift detent plate inside the stock shifter with a custom plate from gbodyparts.com
i like the aftermarket shifter because it includes a performance shifter cable thats fully adjustable and comes with brackets to mount the cable and shifter linkage bracket

and the yoke will fit but ..
the driveshaft needs to be about 3/4" shorter . given the level that you should be at to require a th400 you should strongly consider going with a new upgraded performance driveshaft with 1350 ujoints . the shaft should be 50.5" from center to center with an 8.5 rear and if you dont upgrade the pinion yoke (recommended for tbrake) you will need a conversion ujoint to from the 1350 to 3r

He is running a 9 inch rear and yes his power level is pretty impressive

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Am about to put in a Curie Ford 9 inch in my car will my stock shaft work ? is the u joint the same ?

Duke will have to chime in on that the 400 I have has a dyno tech drive shaft for a 8.5

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

"pacecarta"...are you sure the yoke is the same? I thought when I did this
swap about 15 years ago that I had to get a different one....:confused:

"pacecarta"...are you sure the yoke is the same? I thought when I did this
swap about 15 years ago that I had to get a different one....:confused:
the OP posted a list of what he had and in that list was "trans yoke" , one would assume that he has a yoke for a 400 and you can conclude from that he doesn't have complete driveshaft for a 400 that his intention was to swap the yoke onto the 2004r driveshaft ...that wont work ...you could get the 400 yoke on with a conversion ujoint to the gn driveshaft 3r ujoint but the length wont be good , it will be too long and even if you shortened the shaft it isnt the smartest thing to use the stock shaft at the performance level that a th400 is needed .

if he already has a performance 2004r shaft he could have that shaft shortened to what he needs and install the th400 yoke and be good to go