200-R4 rebuild kit question on steels

CreepinDeth

Quick question.

I have some confusion on the proper steels for the Forward Drum and Direct Drum These are the only ones
that are the same diameter, so I'm not sure what steels go with which drum. This is a picture I have of all the steels I
have to choose from. I've already put together the overrun clutch in case anyone's wondering where those are.

I have the 2004R rebuild video, but it's a basic rebuild video so it doesn't show the updated components for stronger builds.
It does say if I have the updated aluminum piston in the forward drum, that there's 5 steels, 4 clutches, and then the top really thick steel plate.
It goes steel , clutch, steel, clutch, steel, clutch, steel, clutch, steel, and then top thick steel.
I used the thinner steels for this and it all fit.

I assumed the two steels with the missing tooth were the wavy steels that go on the bottom, but they don't seem to be wavy. :confused:
The Direct Drum has a steel in it with a missing tooth that is wavy and the video shows this as well, but my kit doesn't show one.
So this partially why I'm confused. Do I reuse the wavy bottom steel ??

I have the updated 3-4 Red Racing friction pack with 6 clutches which I believe is for the direct drum right ??
I'm not sure what steels go with it in the Direct Drum, because I have 5 thick ones left, and 1 thin one w missing tooth. :confused:
So does the thin one with the missing tooth go on the bottom and then the 5 thick one's with the red racing clutches??
(BTW before anyone asks, yes all clutches soaked for 30 minutes prior to install)

2004RsteelsID1280x768.jpg

The steels with the missing tooth are for the direct clutch. A lot of kits don't include the wave plate. You can reuse the old one if it's in good shape.

steels

I believe this to be right
The direct and forward drums use the same steels.
The 2 with a missing tooth (if measured with calipers ) should be .090.
The others will be .078.
A waved steel will be .060
You can lay it on a flat and tell it is waved.
The waved steel is the first piece that goes in the forward drum.
After the waved you can add any thickness you desire to finish out the stack. I shoot for .030-.040 clearance between the pressure plate and retaining ring once all components are in.
Direct drum does not take a waved steel
Use any combination of steels to end with .030-.040 clearance in the direct also.
If ordering steels and frictions--there are .100, .090 and .078 steels and .061 and .078 frictions.
If used steels or pressure plates have hot spots on them--discard!!!

The steels with the missing tooth are for the direct clutch.

There's only 2 of them though .....so this is confusing. Do these go on the bottom, or top, or what order ??
I just assumed the 2 with the missing teeth were 1 as the base in the Forward Drum, and 1 as the base in the Direct Drum.
But.....the Forward Drum has a base steel that's wavy......so I'm going cookoo....

I tried using the thicker steels in the Forward Drum but could only get 4 in there with the clutches.
So I took them out because the video did say the Direct Drum uses the thicker steels.
I believe this to be right
The direct and forward drums use the same steels.

It's not possible with what's included in this kit.

This is the thickness comparison of the Direct Drum and Input Drum steels included.
The bottom one is much thicker and I have 5 of these.
The top one is thinner and I have 6 of these. 2 of them with a missing tooth.

I don't have the tools to measure it exactly to .000" each

SteelsThickness.jpg

As has been pointed out You should have 6 steels with open notch on opposites sides of the steel .090 these are direct. You should have 3 with no open notch these are forward .078 and one wave plate for forward. There are .101 steels but should never come in a kit.

As has been pointed out You should have 6 steels with open notch on opposites sides of the steel .090 these are direct. You should have 3 with no open notch these are forward .078 and one wave plate for forward. There are .101 steels but should never come in a kit.

Well I have 6 that are the same thickness. Only 2 are notched.
I have 5 that are very thick. Bottom one in the pic above.

This is CK Performance's MASTER REBUILD KIT #24RRK/C
http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RREBUILDKITS.html

If used steels or pressure plates have hot spots on them--discard!!!

Looks like the waved steel that's in the Forward Drum has black spots all over it.
So I guess it's FUBAR'd......:mad:

I gotta call around for a new one I guess. Anyone recommend a direct source??
I was told to check out http://www.transtar1.com/ Since they are local and nationwide.

The 2 with a missing tooth (if measured with calipers ) should be .090.
The others will be .078.
A waved steel will be .060

I just went and bought a digital caliper so I could measure them all.

The 4 thinner steels I have are ~.083
The 2 with the missing teeth are ~.093
The 5 thick one's are ~.105

I zero'd out the caliper several times just to be as close as I could get.

Because it uses thinner clutches ,I give you the thicker steels.It usually will use 4 or 5 of the oversize steels and 1 of the standards in the hi drum but we give you 1 extra of each in case you cant maintain clearance.I prefer to answer your qs at the shop.You have the # call in tomorrow,I will be in from 10 to 5.

You're making this harder than it needs to be

When building you friction--steel stack for forwrd or direct, all the steels DO NOT have to be the same thickness. The waved steel goes first in the forward--after that you can mix and match to get the desired clearance--@ least that's what I do. You are not trying to end your stack with a steel are you? Forward should be--waved steel-friction-steel (any thickness)-friction-steel--friction-steel--friction--pressure plate--retaining ring.
Direct would be--steel--friction-----------ending with a friction, then pressure plate. In your case, 6 steels and 6 frictions. Best of luck.

Because it uses thinner clutches ,I give you the thicker steels.It usually will use 4 or 5 of the oversize steels and 1 of the standards in the hi drum but we give you 1 extra of each in case you cant maintain clearance.I prefer to answer your qs at the shop.You have the # call in tomorrow,I will be in from 10 to 5.

Ahh.....thanks Chris.

Sorry man, I work 3rd shift and my schedule is the opposite of yours so I can never wake up in time to call ya.
I'll try tomorrow.

You're making this harder than it needs to be

That's because I'm a newb at this. :D

Thanks for the input though. I wasn't aware you could mix and match steels.