200-4R vs TH350

Dom87SS

ok i have a little stipulation here. and this is kinda long so bear with me. i currently have a 200-4R tranny rebuilt by jimmy's trans of mundeline IL. it has kevlar bands, hardened steel clutch packs, GN servo, trans-go shift kit, a 2000 stall manual lock-up converter, and a few other things i can think of right now. this is just the basic rebuild kit. i asked him if he could build me a race type trans for the car. he said he could, but doesnt know if it will hold up. i will be putting a 357 in my car in the future (not any time really soon as im broke right now) but it should make between 450-500hp rough estimate on motor. i will have a NX kit hooked up to it. and depending how comfortable i become with the car, i will shoot up to 250 at it. this is where jimmy has a little problem. he doesnt know if the trans will hold up to repeated abuse of a 200+ shot. im not gonna bracket race it, or be racing all the time. but plan to make my fair share of passes. i really really like the 200 for the over drive and lock up converter with my 3.73's. now im kinda weary about spending 1500+ on a race trans and having it break and have to get it rebuilt every year or so. i dont have that kinda cash. so i have a part way solution, this is where you guys come in. i have a th350 i pulled from another monte, needs to be gone through, but is pleanty capabale of handling the motor mentioned (just from seeing what other people have done with them) . but i dont know how the trans will be on the road. i want super drivabilaty, cause it isnt going to be a race car. i want to drive it every where and back, with out running out of gear on the street and having to fill up every 2 blocks for gas. so does anyone think the 200 is actually cabable of being a strong, and trustworthy trans to build, or do i go with the 350. i need to figure out what my losses would be in the change. and i know im gonna need to change the drive shaft out. no worries about that, cause im putting a 8.5 in the car, so i ned a new DS for either trans anyway. i would also need a th350 crossmember, shifter linkage, and possibly a new speedo cable. anything else id need to change? the last thing, but probably the smallest. i have already purchased a iceman cross member for a 200-4R and sent it out and had it powder coated (red). it hasnt been installed yet, just sitting in my basement. has a few nicks from moving it around but other wise perfect. but now id have to sell this crossmember to get another,or if i could possibly work somethin out with ice man, get a th350 one in exchange plus a little somethin. just need to know which will be better suited for lots of higway and around town miles, with a little racing action on the side. thanks in advance.

The 200 4R can be built to take that kind of power, but not for $1500. The thing with building a 350 or a 400, you will lose a lot of drivability on the hi ways. You have to decide whether to put the money up front to be where you need to be, or give up drivability with one of the 3 speeds. My advice since this seems to be a car that sees a lot of road, save your money and buy the right 200 4R for it.

2004r or TH350 ???

Ever thought about a 700R4---here these thing are really strong and they have O/D to---???

The 700-4R will not work long with charged air. My -88 GTA didn´t even last with a HSR and ported heads...

Ever thought about a 700R4---here these thing are really strong and they have O/D to---???
The 700 trans is weak, and has a crappy low 3.06 first gear then it drops to like 1.70's for second,
The gear spread in the 2004R and T350/400 is much better.

ok i have a little stipulation here. and this is kinda long so bear with me. i currently have a 200-4R tranny rebuilt by jimmy's trans of mundeline IL. it has kevlar bands, hardened steel clutch packs, GN servo, trans-go shift kit, a 2000 stall manual lock-up converter, and a few other things i can think of right now. this is just the basic rebuild kit. i asked him if he could build me a race type trans for the car. he said he could, but doesnt know if it will hold up. i will be putting a 357 in my car in the future (not any time really soon as im broke right now) but it should make between 450-500hp rough estimate on motor. i will have a NX kit hooked up to it. and depending how comfortable i become with the car, i will shoot up to 250 at it. this is where jimmy has a little problem. he doesnt know if the trans will hold up to repeated abuse of a 200+ shot. im not gonna bracket race it, or be racing all the time. but plan to make my fair share of passes. i really really like the 200 for the over drive and lock up converter with my 3.73's. now im kinda weary about spending 1500+ on a race trans and having it break and have to get it rebuilt every year or so. i dont have that kinda cash. so i have a part way solution, this is where you guys come in. i have a th350 i pulled from another monte, needs to be gone through, but is pleanty capabale of handling the motor mentioned (just from seeing what other people have done with them) . but i dont know how the trans will be on the road. i want super drivabilaty, cause it isnt going to be a race car. i want to drive it every where and back, with out running out of gear on the street and having to fill up every 2 blocks for gas. so does anyone think the 200 is actually cabable of being a strong, and trustworthy trans to build, or do i go with the 350. i need to figure out what my losses would be in the change. and i know im gonna need to change the drive shaft out. no worries about that, cause im putting a 8.5 in the car, so i ned a new DS for either trans anyway. i would also need a th350 crossmember, shifter linkage, and possibly a new speedo cable. anything else id need to change? the last thing, but probably the smallest. i have already purchased a iceman cross member for a 200-4R and sent it out and had it powder coated (red). it hasnt been installed yet, just sitting in my basement. has a few nicks from moving it around but other wise perfect. but now id have to sell this crossmember to get another,or if i could possibly work somethin out with ice man, get a th350 one in exchange plus a little somethin. just need to know which will be better suited for lots of higway and around town miles, with a little racing action on the side. thanks in advance.
The 2004R can be built, but its some bucks, as the trans is outta date and parts are hard to come by, same with T-350 /400
What engine this trans going behind?

Ummm i dont think you will get a response after 18 years^^