200-4R trans experts, longevity behind a big block?

Jay Wicks

Looking for opinions of longevity of a 200-4R behind a big block Mopar aprox.600hp/tq
in a 3800+ lb. car... What parts are necessary? How long will it last, street driving and
a couple of trips to the track a month? Any naturally aspirated experiences with a
similar combination? I would probably be using a non-lock converter, IF I were to perform
the swap.

Hi Jay,
Do many for A-bodys 555-572 BBC typically car weight in the 3800lb range. Have a fella in MI running 9.70s with some spray. I would say not a problem. Here is another option. 4L80E for BBM

Attachments

• 102_2269.jpg
    102_2269.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 540
At that power level I had upgraded to a 300m input shaft, OD planet and ring gear, intermediate shaft, and all of the normal stuff like the deep pan (I used the Art Carr cast pan), wide band, billet servo, etc.... Not all of the hard parts may have been neccessary, but it was more for insurance than anything else. Now with the trans brake (Lonnie's) I also added a billet output shaft. I did slightly twist two factory outputs footbraking the car in the mid ten second range at near 3900 lbs. The funny thing is that the upgrades have all heppened over the years, and I think I'm using parts from all of the major 200-4R vendors.

The car has run 10.0s and low teens now for the past few years (NA) and most recently a 9.81@140 on a little spray. So far so good!!!!!

You can definately do it and maybee skip the input shaft and output shaft. I would think that the billet intermediate/forward drum is mandatory with a well prepped pump, adeep pan and all of the other standard upgrades.

Best of luck!

Not an expert but i'm running one behind an aluminum headed 454 in a stock body/chasis 66 chevelle that I beat on regularly and drive it to work 2 or 3 times a week. Runs high 12's on street tires. The amazing thing is I built it and I've never seen the inside of an automatic before. Got Chris's book and did the mods and guys here on the forum helped when I had questions. Got a billet input shaft, forward drum, servo and rollerized bearings from Chris and they are about the only special parts in it. 3500 lockup converter. 60mph at 1800rpm with a 3.73 gear.

So I'm sure one of the builders here could fix you up with one for your car.

GOATRACER,I am always impressed to see a 2004r living in the 9 second zone.STEVE,it is great to hear from people like yourself having sucess and accomplishing good things with our products and service.If you guys are using our parts please forward me pictures of your cars for the website.The 2004r does work behind most big blocks we build them for,but there will always be 1 to kick your but.I have had excellent success with most of them and then 1 got a guy with a modified crate 454 ho engine that EATS bands.It weird,even with a different trans.This is something we beat a long time ago,band burnup.But every so often.................:mad:But for the most part we wouldnt stick it out if there wasnt tremendous success.

I am getting ready to build one for a twin turbo Chevy 383 going into a 3600# Impala and will be ordering everything from CK. Supposed to kick out 1000hp when done. He just got done ordering some of the 100# Billet Atomizers from Moran to complete his build.

Not an expert but mine ran 6 years behind a 462 BBB Skylark. Ran low 12's. Now supercharged and time for some work.

For the "Ultimate" setup, I would put serious thought into a 4L80E conversion.
Smart play would be to use an earlier A518(govenor controlled/TV cable operated) with the latest R46RE overdrive parts.
Either way and depending on what chassis it's going in(Early/Late Mopar A or B body) trans tunnel/floorpan might need work for clearence for torsion bar crossmember.
The 200-4R is a great transmission, especially with upgraded hardparts, but your combination of torque output/vehicle weight would put it in a hazzardous environment for survival, especially if using less than a 3.90 rear, transmissions last a whole lot more when not treated as the "Fuse" in the driveline.
Good luck,

Kevin.

For the "Ultimate" setup, I would put serious thought into a 4L80E conversion.
Smart play would be to use an earlier A518(govenor controlled/TV cable operated) with the latest R46RE overdrive parts.
Either way and depending on what chassis it's going in(Early/Late Mopar A or B body) trans tunnel/floorpan might need work for clearence for torsion bar crossmember.
The 200-4R is a great transmission, especially with upgraded hardparts, but your combination of torque output/vehicle weight would put it in a hazzardous environment for survival, especially if using less than a 3.90 rear, transmissions last a whole lot more when not treated as the "Fuse" in the driveline.
Good luck,

Kevin.

The A518 or electronic version won't fit without extensive modification to the floorboard and crossmember. I personally own a 572 Hemi Challenger and would love to make a 200R4 fit. Looks like it would have a much better chance of going in without cutting.

Allan G.