200 4r 2-3 shift problems

Ssmnt408

I have a 200 4r with 3500 non lock up and a shift kit in it, not sure which one. The problem is the 2-3 shift is real sloppy under hard throttle, it shifts great up to half throttle, but at full throttle it jumps probably 1500 rpms before engaging third gear. I am putting a th350 in it's place until i can figure it out, I just hope it's in the v-body and fixable cause i'm gonna miss the overdrive.

thanks for any help :smile:

Ssmnt408 said:
I have a 200 4r with 3500 non lock up and a shift kit in it, not sure which one. The problem is the 2-3 shift is real sloppy under hard throttle, it shifts great up to half throttle, but at full throttle it jumps probably 1500 rpms before engaging third gear. I am putting a th350 in it's place until i can figure it out, I just hope it's in the v-body and fixable cause i'm gonna miss the overdrive.

thanks for any help :smile:
im no pro but i did have a similar problem and julio said to overfill the fluid because when your wot it pushes the fluid to the back causing it to starve for fluid..he put it at about where the "s" is on the fluid stick.. maybe this is the problem,as it helped with my car..i would never go to a non od tranny?good luck to you..

What you are looking at more than likely is cavitation from the fluid being pushed away from the fluid pick up on the filter. A common problem with the 200 4R. You can verify with the extra quart, but it is not a fix. Running over filled has it's own set of problems as well. Let us know what you find. The accurate way to know if it is cavitation is to install a line pressure gauge and verify if you get a pressure drop when it tries to hit third. If you do a gauge reading, make sure you do it before you add the extra fluid.

thanks, Mark

2quiktocare said:
What you are looking at more than likely is cavitation from the fluid being pushed away from the fluid pick up on the filter. A common problem with the 200 4R. You can verify with the extra quart, but it is not a fix. Running over filled has it's own set of problems as well. Let us know what you find. The accurate way to know if it is cavitation is to install a line pressure gauge and verify if you get a pressure drop when it tries to hit third. If you do a gauge reading, make sure you do it before you add the extra fluid.

thanks, Mark
so what would be the proper fix?of course besides bring it to you..im a little to far for that..but i have a tranny guy i know, so if you could tell me what i need to have done ill let him know..thanks alot..

We use our deep aluminum pan. It allows full fluid level around the whole bolt pattern of the pan and has a bottom feed pick-up sump at the back of the pan. The gain is that the filter flows more fluid, picks up fluid from the bottom of the pan, and does not uncover under hard acceleration. It is a little spendy compared to cast pans, but has several advantages those don't offer.

2quiktocare said:
We use our deep aluminum pan. It allows full fluid level around the whole bolt pattern of the pan and has a bottom feed pick-up sump at the back of the pan. The gain is that the filter flows more fluid, picks up fluid from the bottom of the pan, and does not uncover under hard acceleration. It is a little spendy compared to cast pans, but has several advantages those don't offer.
o.k...i need one..whats your best price for all that i need?shipped to 34235..thanks for the help..

cavitation will kill the 1/2 shift before the 2/3.what he is describing sounds a calibration glitch most 2004rs suffer from due to the hole sizes in the seperator plate or damaged frictions.to verify the complaint is cavitation you must install a pressure gage and watch pressures during operation and make a judgement based on this

Some JB weld around the edges of you trans filter where the metal meets the plastic will also help keep it from sucking air. ;)

our 2004r manual shows you how to make a baffle for the pan that eliminates oil airation and it costs less than 25cents.you use a 4x4ce of sheet metal roof flashing :biggrin: