20 psi and 100 shot update!

YellaGN

Just thought i would update you guys on what i am doing with my car. I realize a very few # of us TR guys use nitrous, but anyways here ya go! I am running 20 psi and spraying a 100 wet shot from a NX mainline system. Air/Fuel is set for about 11.5. Running 91 oct with a single nozzle alky kit from SMC. Boost moves from 20 to 24 on the spray. Instant spoolup and the car feels really strong. I dont have any dyno #'s or passes yet, but id guess 11.0's @ 122 or so without nitrous and somewhere close to 130 with the nitrous. Almost no knock through entire 3rd gear. 2.0 KR at the most. timing is set at 22 degrees. I am using MAFPro/Wideband for tuning. going to up the shot slowly to a 150. With some C16 should be good to go! Looking for a max boost of 26-27psi and a 135+ mph trap speed. Ill keep those of you who are interested updated!

never mind flappin your jaws RACE it :biggrin: we ran it back in "the day" for years .. worked awesome :cool:

There's one guy here in town that runs Nitrous, bone stock car lightened like you wouldn't believe and has run a low 11 on just the nozzle in the up pipe. Don't think he's been to the track to try out the 6pack nozzle plenum.

Let us know what it runs when you get it to the track.

That's neat. You're crazy to run that on pump and alky. I guess crazy people are faster though in the 1/4. Keep us updated on the times.

Jason

I am cringing for you. I'm very interested in how it turns out. WFO!:eek:

Is this going to be the next "hot" thing in the Turbo Regal World? Who knows!:D Keep us updated! :cool:

:eek: Yella you got big b@lls, damn!!

I would run it a bit fatter but sounds like a hell of a ride.
Props to the MafPro for making it easier to push the head gaskets to their limits while staying in tune.;)

nice to see a nitous thread. I might be coming across a small nitrous kit monday, dont plan on running it without a new trans, but I am interested in this. I have heard these cars respond to nitrous well, but did'nt know it kicks up the boost that much. keep the info coming!:cool:

Are you going to spray the nitrous through your shifts? Or are you pilling to shut off just before the shift? Assuming the tranny is 'built'.

I sure would like to hear from you and any others!

Yes i am spraying through the shifts. I do have a very well built tranny. Happy to answer any questions.

The best way to use nitrous is from the starting line to the finish line. :cool:

I have a 100hp setup on my car, and was 'gonna use it the other week to get my car into the 10's. I figured I had a mid-11 car at best, and wasn't 'gonna leave the track without a 10-sec timeslip.

I was rewarded with a 10.98 @ 122 and a 10.95 @ 122 before I ever got the nitrous bottle out of the truck...

My car still has a stock unopened engine and stock axles, so I decided it was best to leave the bottle out of the car until I beef-up that stuff first. :D

Maybe over the Winter I'll take care of that stuff and shoot for a nitrous-assisted 9-sec timeslip in the Spring. :cool:

<<I was rewarded with a 10.98 @ 122 and a 10.95 @ 122 before I ever got the nitrous bottle out of the truck...>>

uh huh, another 10 sec slip for the 67. I've really got an itch that needs scratching.

and YellaGN, thanks for sharing your nitrous data. Just further confirmation to carefully set the pre-juice boost in anticipation of another few pounds when you hit the button. Even with the wet system, I think I will be pushing it with my 63 wheel on a port job, 224 cam and 42lbers. I am going to start pilled at 35N/24F and 20lbs of boost, with one eye glued to the scanmaster. ....but do you think I should pill even fatter on fuel?

I'd go with factory NOS "out of the box" jetting.
That's where I got the idea for the 46N/42F jets.

I looked on the Holley/NOS website for a 86/87 GN Nitrous kit... Then I looked for the .pdf instructions online and found the jetting map for that particular kit.
Honestly, I think you'd be just fine with the 46N/42F jets.

I tried it a few times on the street when I had the 93 octane tuneup in it, and it was fine... O2's were in the low-800's and zero KR. Boost was set at 17psi, and may have gotten up near 19/20 when the juice came on.

One important thing to keep in mind...

Do not confuse jetting/data between different nitrous kit mfg's or components.
Never mix-n-match solenoids, nozzles, jets, etc... from one company to another.
They are each designed and engineered to work together as a kit, with known flow rates or with known components.

As soon as you start mixing parts, all bets are off.
My jetting #'s are with an NOS Fogger nozzle, NOS solenoids and NOS jets.

Yullose...hey....r u talkin' to me?

If so, I am runnung NX, so yes the jetting is very different. I am basically using a 50N pill and 75F pill to keep it richer. Thanks !

Well i started with the 75 shot and 20 psi with a good tune and the correct nitrous/fuel pills. When i went to the 100 shot a went with 1 pill larger on the fuel side, just to make sure it was fat enough. I was originally planning to keep going up on the shot, but now i am thinking about upping the boost a pound at a time and keeping the 100 shot. My reasoning is.....many people believe the 70 GTQ's really dont start cooking until 23-24 psi. Of course 23-24 psi and a 100 shot will = about 27psi total which will be used only with C16!

PowerK.....what size shot are you using? i would start with 1 size larger than recommended on the fuel side. Those 42's worry me a bit. I think i would try and keep the O2's in the low 800's for 3rd and shoot for zero knock. (Less than 20 psi total - 93 oct. is sufficient) (20-24 use 100-104 oct.) (24 and over id play it safe and use the good stuff)

Try just cranking the boost up and running w/o nitrous first... You might be surprised.

I was really surprised at how different my PT67 was going from 17 to 25psi.
It felt like it "came alive" and runs as fast w/o nitrous as I had hoped to go WITH the nitrous. :cool:

Yella when you run 29 Psi and a 150 shot shoot me a PM , hey it worked good once on street tires (275/50s) Producing something like 50 yard burnout until it got traction :rolleyes: The other time the car launched HARD on ETs ..........That is until it blew the intake hose off the TB with a Blockbuster like BOOM . I should have know using a resalvaged TB repaired with a die grinder and a worm clamp wasnt going to hold to long . Although the aftermarket 65 and 70 TB have a real large lip for that sort " Testing" this was on 116 on allky :rolleyes: you may wana get some gaskets , ehy look at the bright side makesa great smoke screen ......................................................................CPT65 Ball bearing 63 housing + 3200stall +29psi + 150 shot = Fastest spoolup you could everask for .

Can someone explain to me how the fuel "pill" works? These cars are fuel injected so you cant change the jets like in a carbed car. So when you say 46/42 what do you mean? Also how do you know how much HP each jet is worth?

Thanks Jason

Can someone explain to me how the fuel "pill" works? These cars are fuel injected so you cant change the jets like in a carbed car. So when you say 46/42 what do you mean? Also how do you know how much HP each jet is worth?

Thanks Jason

they are talking about the fuel jet on the nitrous kit.in the nitrous kits they give you a chart for the jets that you match up for horsepower increase.hope this helps.