2-pass radiator anyone?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I got a buddy that has a Ron Davis 2-pass radiator in a roller cammed 540 pro-street bottom 10 sec na camaro ...... this thing won't overheat on a 100 deg day in stopped traffic in downtown Houston. The radiator basically is two radiators one on top of the other with special end tanks... it looks like one radiator, but basically the water comes in... travels across the top radiator... then gets into the opposite side tank.... then enters into the lower radiator core and makes its way back across (hence the 2nd pass).

Anyway, the Ron Davis radiators are high as a giraffes butt, but I see in my new Jeg's catalog.... that there are some radiators listed in there for a few hundred dollars that are "2-pass". The only catch... is that by design... the inlet and outlet are on the same side.

I am just wondering if this might be a good option for us guys in the south dealing with mega heat, air conditioners, and a big FMIC?

They work great. I've used them in big cubic inch blown motors that had trouble cooling and most of the time they start running too cool.

I just put one in a mustang. I doubt you will find one that works as a drop in, but with a little fabrication they work great.
I think the buick would need one like this one with the inlet and outlet on the drivers side. You would have to make a custom lower radiator hose and an upper mount, but otherwise it's pretty close. I had to modify the filler and upper hose barb on this one.
CIMG1220.jpg

We've used a double and triple pass radiators before in the dirt cars. Most of the time they work good but aren't recomended for street use. You might also look up smiley's racing and speedway motors. They've got them as well and should be priced a little better than Jegs or summit.;)

Got a $230 Jeg's dual-pass in my LS-1 Maverick. Same story as the OP, 100°+ days near Houston and pulling through a monster B&M trans cooler and A/C condenser...