2 Champion head questions GN1

I did some searching but really couldn't find my answer so here goes.

First off do the champion GN1 heads come setup to run a hyd flat tappet cam, or a hyd roller? (buying new so I assume this is the new design head)

Second question.

Does anyone have a picture or any info on how they look/work out of the box without being race ported. How are the ports finished?

Thanks!

First off do the champion GN1 heads come setup to run a hyd flat tappet cam, or a hyd roller? (buying new so I assume this is the new design head)

Second question.

Does anyone have a picture or any info on how they look/work out of the box without being race ported. How are the ports finished?

Thanks!

If you are buying them new you can request them to be set up for whatever spring you need.

They work very well right out of the box.

Hope that helps, Kip

Second question.

Thanks!

The GN1's come setup to run hyd flat tappet but i'm pretty sure you could order them setup to run a roller cam.

I have the GN1's and bought them new in 2001 and while i haven't had any trouble with them cracking i've heard of others having that problem.

If i were going to buy aluminum heads today i would buy these.

V6 Cylinder Heads | TAPerformance.com

John :smile:

They come setup the way they are ordered. Whatever springs you want you can order. There is nothing really done at all to the ports. The valve job is very good though. You can order any level of porting you want.

Will TA Performance set them up the way you order them as well?

Also, can you get an 8 bolt head with stud mount rockers?

Yes and im not sure about the variations of heads they sell. Im almost sure if they are 14 bolt if dont have 3 pedestals. You can put 14 bolt heads on stock blocks so i dont see the added expense in them creating another version.

Do a search on Champion and TA heads... draw your own conclusions. :wink:

I did just that and decided to buy the TA heads. I'm glad I did.

They will set them up exactly the way you want them. You will also get a build sheet with the heads. Each head comes in a sealed bag, with every coolant port taped-off to prevent any possibly loose debris from falling out of the passages and contaminating the rest of the head.

I can't speak for Champion, but TA's customer service is 2nd to none. Mike T is the owner at TA Performance and he's fantastic to deal with.

Go to the website and download the catalog to see the details about the heads... I think the catalog goes into more detail than the website gives.

I've spent alot of time on the phone with Mike at TA... and learned a few things about those heads that are not advertised... like the insanely overbuilt nature of the head, the huge deck thickness and the amount of material over/around the combustion chamber.
I don't think you will EVER see or hear about a cracked TA head. Champion on the other hand... different story. (do a search)

All TA's heads are 14-bolt design. They bolt right on an 8-bolt block. Just ignore the extra holes.
I bought the entire top-end of my motor from TA Performance. I don't think you will find a better cylinder head.
Also, if I'm not mistaken... a TA head will flow better right out of the box, unported... than a stock ported iron will flow.

Here's some eye candy for you.

Build sheet with every head:
DSC077312.jpg

DSC075082.jpg

DSC075052.jpg

DSC075122.jpg

DSC075172.jpg

DSC076712.jpg

The TA heads can be purchased to your specs.

All TA heads are machined for 14 head bolts and a steel support is supplied with the the SI heads for a rocker shaft. No, the Chevy stud-mounted rockers cannot be used on them.

The Scorpion rockers provide less than optimum valve train geometry when used on a Buick head. Both Champion and TA heads need after market rockers, as the valves are spaced further apart. Use of stock rockers is NOT recommended for either head.

On the SE version of TA heads, a paired set of rockers like Jessel-style must be used, as these are much more suited for high performance, high RPM operation.

On the SE version of TA heads, a paired set of rockers like Jessel-style must be used, as these are much more suited for high performance, high RPM operation.

Agreed... and in hindsight, I 'kinda wish I had ordered the SE heads instead of the SI's. The difference in valvetrain cost is only $300, but the SE head has a little bigger ports in it.

As I understand it, both the SI and SE series heads all use the same aluminum casting... but have a few machining differences like valvetrain mounting and port openings...

Novice Question, sorry

Agreed... and in hindsight, I 'kinda wish I had ordered the SE heads instead of the SI's. The difference in valvetrain cost is only $300, but the SE head has a little bigger ports in it.

As I understand it, both the SI and SE series heads all use the same aluminum casting... but have a few machining differences like valvetrain mounting and port openings...

Is that the Champion intake or does TA make there own intake?

Thanks Guys wouldn't mind seeing a picture of stock unported champ alluminums.

Any one had any problems with the champion new version cracking (Latest casting)

That intake looks alot like my champion GN1 intake so I am going to guess it's theres.

Thanks Guys wouldn't mind seeing a picture of stock unported champ alluminums.

Any one had any problems with the champion new version cracking (Latest casting)

That intake looks alot like my champion GN1 intake so I am going to guess it's theres.

My GN1's are 3 years old and no cracks (knock on wood.)

I am running some early GN1's. I am worried about the rocker shaft mounts breaking, but so far so good. I am running 175lbs at the seat springs. Where else do they crack, and what are the causes, lean heat, etc?

As cast, they can use some work. I did alot of blending in the seat area, and opened up the intake ports alittle.

It's a Champion intake but I bought it from TA. They keep them in stock.

What I really liked about the TA heads over the GN1's was the rockershaft mounting pedestal system. The TA head uses a steel assy that bolts to the head. The rocker shaft then bolts to that steel plate/pedestal assy.

I believe the GN1's have aluminum pedestals cast right into the head... as I've seen pics on this board of a few broken ones.

I know the TA heads are a little more money than the GN1's, but in my opinion, they are a far superior head and worth every penny.

It's a Champion intake but I bought it from TA. They keep them in stock.

What I really liked about the TA heads over the GN1's was the rockershaft mounting pedestal system. The TA head uses a steel assy that bolts to the head. The rocker shaft then bolts to that steel plate/pedestal assy.

I believe the GN1's have aluminum pedestals cast right into the head... as I've seen pics on this board of a few broken ones.

I know the TA heads are a little more money than the GN1's, but in my opinion, they are a far superior head and worth every penny.

The 14 bolt GN1's require a Jesel style setup (or scorpion rockers if your cheap) just like the one on your heads but they have 3 independent shafts per side and 2 rockers per shaft. Im sure you can run the same setup on the TA heads but the spacers may be different because of valve locations. The 3 independent shaft setup is superior to the single stock style shaft because it has more clamping load per valve which will minimize shaft deflection. It also costs more for a set of them. Very adjustable with shims under the steel pedestal. The reason champion cast the 3 pedestal head 8 bolt head is so that it was a direct replacement for a stock head. Meaning you could easily bolt stock rocker arms to it without any other mods or a different set of rockers. The correct thing to do for an engine capable of 5500+rpm is to buy a set of 14 bolt and use the Jesel style setup as you cant get good geometry with stock rockers most of the time

help in a hurry

hello tb family. i am new to to buick world . i have 86 grand national which i believe is stock. except for a few mods which i can spot, front mount intercooler, turbonetics turbo {dunno which paticuliar 1 but the exhaust housing says 63 a/r, scanmaster , magnaflow exhaust, huge pipe leaving the the turbo exhaust housing and i was told aftermarket injectors. i recently came across aluminum gn1s , new razor alky ,atr headers and billet mains. over the winter i plan to in stall these items. the heads has damaged . what i can see is a broken pedestal mount. i want to send these heads somewhere to get a clean bill of health. help please .where can i send these heads to? i plan on keeping a stock block. i want to up grade the cam 1 notch too.is my combo possible?

You need to speak to Tom at champion.

Don't think I am allowed to post a link so search "champion buick" And than call him he will sort you out.

I like Champions and have four seasons on my current set without any issues. These heads have been places no other production style head has gone and have more 8 second passes (at least 100) on them than any other production style head out there. Again without issue. We also run 310# spring seat pressure:eek:

Customer service has been outstanding and Tom is a stand up guy.