2 9 inch or not!

hipsi2fly

9sec109
broke my mosers w/ a 1.42 short time and looking to build a stage 1 or 2 soon----whatcha think? go ahead and 9 in. it? and not worry or build a nasty 10 or 12 bolt????????lemme know!-thanks

When u say Mosers, what size? My bud has been running 33 spline mosers, spool in his stock 10 bolt,8.6+ S2 car, 1.3+ 60fts with no issues.

Mine runs the same axles,spool on a stock 10 bolt... best of 1.36 60 ft .

yes i am using a t brake,and they were only 28 spline and a spool,10 lb launch--1.42 60 ft then came back and tried a 13 lb launch and bam-that was it.....

If your using a Transbrake you probably going to have to use a pro gear in the 10bolt and should not be driven on street everyday. Thats the next weakest link after upgrading the housing and axels. A 9" you could probably get away with a street gear because the placement and size of gear is different.

Got a Currie Ford 9" in my GN. For some reason the bozo I bought mine from did this as one of his first modifications.:confused: Car had 4700 miles on it when I bought it in 95. Only other things done to the car was a lowering job, some billet aluminum wheels and a K&N filter. Still had stock turbo, IC and injectors. Why you would put a 9" in a brand new car is beyond me but I am glad he did.:D

If you have the $$$ go for it. But I am sure there are plenty of cheaper ways to bullet proof the stock rear.

Originally posted by lazaris
If your using a Transbrake you probably going to have to use a pro gear in the 10bolt and should not be driven on street everyday. Thats the next weakest link after upgrading the housing and axels. A 9" you could probably get away with a street gear because the placement and size of gear is different.

I still have the stock rear with stock gears. Just upgraded the axles, put a spool in it and added c-clip eliminators. I figured it would have broke a long time ago, but so far, so good. I know of a few 8 sec cars with 10 bolts in them.

Originally posted by HighPSI
I still have the stock rear with stock gears. Just upgraded the axles, put a spool in it and added c-clip eliminators. I figured it would have broke a long time ago, but so far, so good. I know of a few 8 sec cars with 10 bolts in them.

OMG.... He lives! :eek: Cal, I've been trying to 2 way you for a week to see how you guys did in the storm. I thought the hurricane carried you away ;)

- Matt

Cal,

You must be one of the lucky ones. What does your car weigh? I was figuring on full weight cars 3600-3700lbs.

well shoot! not sure yet i have my 400 ready to go in so im thinkin 9 inch also i dont know how much more hp its gonna require 2 turn or how much wt i will put on but with a big stage motor on the way i am thinking thats the way to go.......my 200 is a century trans that mike updated less than 6 mos ago----i dont know how far thats gonna go with 800+ hp and some gas?????we will see -i always hear of people that run there stock junk into XXXXXXXX et but ever met only a few that i know do it-i know you do cal, i talked 2 you about this in bg this year-

I see you're still using that ol' NAWZ! Go with the 9incher. By the time you spend the $$ to beef up the stocker for where your are wanting to go, you could have been 90% of the way there on a good 9incher! Do it right one time - the first time!!

My car weighs 3360 (3430 when I class race it). I can't even begin to tell you how many passes are on the rear.

Sorry Matt! I have been without power for 9 days along with a cell phone that won't ring. Got the power fixed, and went to Nextel yesterday. Getting a loaner phone today, if they are still out I'm buying a new one.

Originally posted by HighPSI
Sorry Matt! I have been without power for 9 days along with a cell phone that won't ring. Got the power fixed, and went to Nextel yesterday. Getting a loaner phone today, if they are still out I'm buying a new one.

No sweat dude. Just wanted to make sure you, Holly, and the kids came through ok. Just call me whenever you get a chance :)

Originally posted by hipsi2fly
well shoot! not sure yet i have my 400 ready to go in so im thinkin 9 inch also i dont know how much more hp its gonna require 2 turn or how much wt i will put on but with a big stage motor on the way i am thinking thats the way to go.......my 200 is a century trans that mike updated less than 6 mos ago----i dont know how far thats gonna go with 800+ hp and some gas?????we will see -i always hear of people that run there stock junk into XXXXXXXX et but ever met only a few that i know do it-i know you do cal, i talked 2 you about this in bg this year-

If I remember correctly, they make Aluminum ford 9" housings, and lightened internals that come out to be lighter than the stock 10 bolt we have. Strong as s**t too :)

Here's a link to Strange Engineering's catalog.... I ran a strange 12 bolt in my WS6, and never had a single problem :)

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

Ryan,
I would just go with a spool, 33 spline axles, & C-clips if you don't already have them. I think for what you want to do it would work good. I would also get the tubes welded to the center section on the rear.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Later

Originally posted by Bent6
I see you're still using that ol' NAWZ! Go with the 9incher. By the time you spend the $$ to beef up the stocker for where your are wanting to go, you could have been 90% of the way there on a good 9incher! Do it right one time - the first time!!

LOLOLOLOL----yep the car went 6.30 without it before i smoked the rear! i am building the stage mtr so i am going with the lighted 9 in.------hope your doin well!

trans am-you are right gun drilled axles =6 lbs of rotating mass per side,alum case and flanges are 4lbs per side---thanks!----mcdade hopefully i will have mine done and i will roll w/ you to the track in a few weeks-laters...

Since we're on the subject, I broke my ring and pinion. Everything else is good. (Moser axles & auburn pro) What would cause that?

Originally posted by hipsi2fly
LOLOLOLOL----yep the car went 6.30 without it before i smoked the rear! i am building the stage mtr so i am going with the lighted 9 in.------hope your doin well!

Good move on the 9incher. Now go get a bigger bottle and put it in the 5s! I'm thinking seriously about your idea in BG - you know what I'm talking about for the full 1/4 - you got me too curious!!!! Give me a shout sometime! Peace:cool: