2-3 shifts problems

keith theriot

Turbocajun
my trans shifts from 2nd to 3rd very quick, does anyone know the compression strenght of the spring on the 2-3 valve?

I don't know the spring rate but I do have the dimensions...wire dia. 0.034"....spring diameter 0.29".....free length 1.25".....number of coils 15...color green.

here is the scoop------ the person i bought the car from had the trans rebuild and put a shift kit in it, dont know what kind, the owner never could get the car on the road and let it sit for ten years. then i bought it. at first the trans would not shift out of first until 45mph, so i pulled the valve body apart and cleaned. and now it shifts but from 2nd it goes fast to 3rd. and in drive from a dry stop WOT it will shift thru gears quik. i have driven the car for about 2000 miles like this manually shifting when needed. this week i took it to a shop for help and also gave him the b&m transpac i had purchased a year ago and he said he would take another 2004r vb and put in my kit but seperator plate had been drilled with the other kit and the holes were bigger than the b&m kit, he also tried using a non bfr vb and tried to modify it to match the bfr vb . didnt work . so we are trying to figure what kit was put into the bfr vb and try to figure out what springs are needed . thanks for any help

thanks but i had that info already when i pulled the valve body but spring color and sizes didnt match and i think the shift kit he put in is the whole problem

2-3 shift

Do yourself a favor and call Chris at CK perf. and get his shift kit...or send him your valve body and have him put your VB back to original state along with his upgrades.
I have done and still do several a year 2004R's for retro-fits into older cars so I have good (not Professional) experiance with these transmissions and there is nothing worse than chasing down calibration problems in the VB's of these or any vehicle Transmissions. His kit is simple with no drilling mods (easily reversable...although I would not know why you would) as it comes with a plate already modded correctly. I have not had a problem ever since I started using his Shift kit and 100% satisfaction is the norm from all parties involved.
Do not go with another VB that is being recomended unless it is a desired one out of a desired trans....IE, factory performance one, This is a whole lot more problems waiting to happen.
This will save you a ton of headaches and dex baths and there is nothing that makes a car feel as good as a well tuned - crisp shifting transmission.

Do yourself a favor and call Chris at CK perf. and get his shift kit...or send him your valve body and have him put your VB back to original state along with his upgrades.
I have done and still do several a year 2004R's for retro-fits into older cars so I have good (not Professional) experiance with these transmissions and there is nothing worse than chasing down calibration problems in the VB's of these or any vehicle Transmissions. His kit is simple with no drilling mods (easily reversable...although I would not know why you would) as it comes with a plate already modded correctly. I have not had a problem ever since I started using his Shift kit and 100% satisfaction is the norm from all parties involved.
Do not go with another VB that is being recomended unless it is a desired one out of a desired trans....IE, factory performance one, This is a whole lot more problems waiting to happen.
This will save you a ton of headaches and dex baths and there is nothing that makes a car feel as good as a well tuned - crisp shifting transmission.

+1

Without seeing everything and being able to compare against known good pieces, issues like this can drive a person mad.
It might be as simple as a hole drilled incorrectly in the spacer plate, but how many atf showers before you actually nail the problem?
Chris has saved a lot of people time and money with his knowledge here, thats what I would do.
Good luck,

Kevin.

Thanks for the good things guys.I have been doing extensive valve body testing for the years.On the down side it has cost me lost sleep,missed personal time with the family and alot of aggravation.However it is not in vain.On the plus side I have extesive in car test information,shift valve diameter and spring info ,governor info etc that I can satisfy just about any demand placed on me by a customer for an auto shift 2004r application to meet the needs of thei set up.Remeber where the KC infor originated?Im just not giving the information away anymore for free.Sorry,it was my scraped knuckles and oily eye sockets.Keith send it to me ,I can fix it and then in car test it for you if necessary.

thanks guys for responding , Chris i was wondering if i would be better off just ordering one of your valve bodies to replace mine, does it come with seperator plate and upgrade from stock to help the poor factory shifts?