1st to 2nd is ok, 2nd to 3rd shifts early, no overdrive until 60 mph, is that normal?

2kSSLS1

I also have to let off at 60 mph for it to kick in. Did the 200-4Rs come like that, or is my tranny not right? What would cause this? What can be done to fix it? Thanks

sounds like possibly the TV cable is adjusted too tight. Try backing off one click and see what happens

When you say back off 1 click, do you mean back towards the firewall or towards the front of the car? Ive been playing with it for the past hour and no luck. It seems when I click it towards the front of the car, the shifts are closer together. The more clicks towards the front of the car, the closer it gets. The more I click it to the front towards the firewall, the further the shifts are apart. But still no overdrive. Before I even started moving everything around, 1st to 2nd was ok, but 2nd to 3rd was pretty fast and then it didnt hit till 60. I dont know whats going on, but I need more suggestions. If I cant fix it through the adjustments on the "clicker" then how else can I do it? Is there something wrong internally? By the way, this is on my 2000 Camaro SS with a fabricated bracket and tv cable, but Im sure its almost the same if not the same.

ohh I did not realize that it was NOT in a Buick. Ill bet when ya fabbed the bracket for the TV cable it may not be the correct and not allowing the cable to travel thru its needed travel???

It was my tranny builder (Mike Kurtz) that fabbed up the bracket and I guess he used a universal tv cable. I was the one who installed it all, so I couldnt be that off or something isnt right in the tranny. My tranny is a BQ model, but has the BF governor, do you know if that has anything to do when it shifts and goes into overdrive? We had to drop the governor about 3 times to get the shift points set right for WOT, but I just cant seem to get the overdrive to kick in sooner than 60mph. When is it suppose to kick in? 40mph? 45mph? Besides the cable adjustment, is there anything that could be modified in the tranny to make it shift how its "suppose" to? The reason I ask that is, because when I got the car all together, I set it as close at possible and went to his shop so that he can fine tune it. Anyhow, he got it where he thought it was best, but it the overdrive didnt kick in until 60mph. He said the further he spreads the 1 2 3 shifts, the further it raises the overdrive kickin. Now is that right because I know I didnt spend over 3 grand to have an overdrive tranny for it not to kick in until 60mph. Doesnt really serve a purpose unless Im doing nothing but highway driving. Anyhow, something isnt right and I have a bad feeliing that the just dont want to pull the tranny apart because of something the did wrong. Anyhow, what do you think? Thanks.

I don't think anything is "wrong"

Just 4th may be need to be calibrated a little more. That would be step #1. It would be easy to soften the 3-4 shift spring if that is what you desire, and only if needed, but I would play with throttle postion for a bit and log what happens and try to get a change, and a change that is consistant. Then you have a point to work from.
Is anything catosphrophically wrong?
I severely doubt it, It sounds like a little calibration, aka: adjustment, may be needed, thats all.

Good Luck

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

Well it seems the further I spread the shifts apart, the higher it makes the 4 kick in. But then again, I dunno. I was playing with it yesterday as mentioned above and the overdrive didnt seem to be affected when making adjustments, but the more I moved the adjustment towards the firewall, the further the shifs were apart and vise versa. How else can overdrive be calibrated? I can adjust 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd no problem with the "clicker", but I cant get 4th to kick in any faster. When should it kick in normally?

Well, Im going to give Mike a call tomorrow, but I wanna know how else can the 4th kickin be adjusted because Ive played with the adjustment long enough. I highly doubt by Mike playing with it is going to get it any better. I hope that he gets is squared away and running the way I want. I paid a lot of money for this tranny and did a complete conversion from a 6 speed in my 2000 Camaro SS, lots of research, a lot of labor, etc. and for the tranny not to be working correctly really disappoints me. How else can it be tuned/adjusted? Thanks.