1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am (TTA)

Snorman

Boosted.
Ebay item number: 330032801620

This is a 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am with T-tops and leather. Pontiac produced 1,555 (including 5 pilot cars) of these vehicles in 1989 as a commerative model for the Indianapolis 500. 1,324 of these were T-top cars with leather. This is car #301.

The 20th Anniversary Turbo TA is special in that it is a complete mechanical package, as opposed to a simple "tape and sticker package". Pontiac used Buick's 3.8 liter (231cid) V6 turbo engine from the 1986-87 Grand National. There are minor difference between the two motors. For example, different cylinder heads were utilized to fit the motor between the strut towers. These heads, borrowed from the FWD version of the 3.8 liter motor, have improved exhaust flow and combustion chamber design. To maintain combustion chamber volume, different pistons, also cast, we used. The TTA's also had a cross drilled crank, 12-fin/inch GNX intercooler, specific headers and a higher-pressure Bosch 237 fuel pressure regulator. TTA had the the 1LE racing brake and suspension package that included 12" brakes with quick change pads at all four corners.

Every production TTA was white with saddle (tan) interior, with T-tops and leather interior being the only available options. Although other TAs were available with a CD player, the Turbo TA was available only with a Delco ETR AM/FM cassette with graphic EQ and redundant steering wheel controls.

I purchased this car in January of this year from a seller in Texas who had owned the car for several years.

The motor was rebuilt, and features the following:

Champion ported heads and intake
ARP head, rod and main studs
Speed Pro lifters, rings, oil pump and timing cover
218/218 cam (this cam doesn't lope hard and has nice street manners)
Holds ~16 psi of oil pressure HOT at idle in gear

The suspension has had numerous items replaced and upgraded, including:

New Bilstein struts and shocks (previous owner)
Spohn subframe connectors (welded)
Rebuilt front end with new ball joints...I had new ball joints installed in May and the front end aligned. The car tracks straight.
Four new tires with 245/50-16 BFG G-Force Sport TA's up front and 255/50-16 BFG Drag Radials in back. The tires have less than 200 miles on them and three passes at the track.
Brakes recently done with plenty of pad and no runout

The exhaust consists of the following:

3" downpipe
Matching testpipe (I have a catalytic convertor to go with the car)
Dynomax rear muffler installed earlier this summer with stock tips. Car sounds great with this setup.

Miscellaneous:

Big-neck intercooler
Stock turbo
AFPR
Transmission and rear were rebuilt by previous owner and retain the stock convertor and 3.42 rear gears
Walbro 340 with 40# injectors
K&N open element filter
160* T-stat
AC converted to R134 in 2004
Pillar mounted boost and EGT gauges
New T-top seals (no leaks)
Seat covers (front and rear Jax) and carpet replaced in 2004, all four floor mats included
Owners manual, supplemental owners manual, 1989 Firebird service manual and TTA supplemental service manual...I do NOT have an owner's kit (cassette, letter, box, etc.)
Covercraft custom fit "all weather" car cover ($320 new)
I have a couple of spare wheels that are straight and can be included with the car.

Since I bought the car in January, I have had significant "cleanup" work done to the car. A large portion of the car has been repainted and was done right. The paint looks as if it is factory and has a beautiful shine and matches perfectly. Both quarters, the rear bumper cover, spoiler, lower doors, B-pillars, hood and A-pillars were painted. The front bumper cover was painted by the previous owner. Everything matches perfectly to what remains of the factory paint. Both front wheelwell liners have been replaced. Both mirror outside mirror gaskets have been replaced. I have not replaced the fender emblems, but have a new, unused set from Car Motorsports (I think the car looks much better without them) that will be included with the car. The nose emblem has been replaced with an NOS piece. The headlight buckets are new and I have even replaced the gold "Pontiac" emblem on the front of the driver's side bucket. The front parking lights have been replaced with NOS pieces. The rear spoiler had previously only a small crack on the passenger side, but now has small cracks on both side. This is the original rubber spoiler. I would advise replacing this heavy piece with a fiberglass repro unit. All four wheels have been completely stripped, centers repainted with OEM GM gold and the lips polished. They have NOT been clearcoated, and the lips can be polished to a mirror-like finish. The pics will attest to this...as they look awesome. Centercaps are all there, as are the lug nut caps. I have an extra set of centercaps that I bought off of eBay, but they don't have a clear center in them over the "WS6" logo. I never mounted them because of this but will include them with the car.

The interior is very clean, and everything works. The seat covers are in beautiful shape and are virtually new, as is the carpet. I have some interior items that will come with the car including: seat belt button (red replacement kit), power window switches and power mirror switch. All of these items work, but the lettering is faded. Interior-wise, the steering wheel should be re-covered, the console is starting to warp a bit near the shift plate and the seatbelts could use a good cleaning. If the car doesn't meet reserve, I will likely address these minor items. I have the original GM T-top shades and they need to be re-covered but are otherwise in good shape. The power antenna and rear hatch motor both work fine. AC works, as do the PW, PM, cruise, rear hatch release, steering wheel controls, etc.

The car runs well, and I have raced it at the track once. At Atco Raceway in April, in decent air, it went 12.41 at 109.49 mph on a 1.71 60 ft. exactly as it sits today. This was at ~17psi and on pump gas. Air temps were in the 60-65* range and this was into a slight headwind after a 20-minute cooldown. I feel confident it would run a .2 or .3 in better air with a better cooldown.

The car isn't perfect, but the exterior of the car looks as good as any TTA I've seen. If you didn't know the car had 130K on it, you'd guess it had 20k on it. I bought this car because I planned on putting on a bigger turbo, injectors, loosening up the convertor and upping the boost with race gas. I didn't want a car that was going to turn into a garage queen that I was afraid to race, but rather something that would turn heads and put down some nice numbers at the track. If you're looking for a car that you can drive and not be afraid to race or modify, I think this is an awesome choice. Cosmetically, it is on-par with a TTA sitting on a show field. Again, I think the pictures will support this claim.

Thanks for looking. A few more pics in eBay ad.

There is no warranty expressed or implied and this vehicle is being sold as is.

Asking $13,500 or best offer.

ttarightsidefront0ny.jpg

ttaleftrearside7de.jpg

ttarightsiderear2gl.jpg

ttaleftsidefront6ai.jpg

ttaleftrearwheel3gm.jpg

ttahood9pc.jpg

ttarearbumper6in.jpg

ttarearwing8la.jpg