1987 Gn Owner With ? Interested In Learning More About Them!!!

mysem9

Hello I Am New To The Forum This Is My First Post, I Have A 1987 Gn I Purchased It As Is, It Has Stock Turbo,stock Converter Terry Houston Down Pipe,flow Path Mufflers,stretched Intercooler,aftermarket Aluminum Radiator, Dual Flexlite Fans,knock Sensor Gauge,belle Fuel Pressure Gauge,boost Gauge,dual In Tank Fuel Pumps,scan Master,snow Performance Inj Kit,im Not Sure What Size Injecters But They Do Have A Green Strip Around Them,im Running 17lbs Of Boost And Fuel Pressure Is Showing 40lbs, I Also Have A Turbo Chip, I Took It Down The 1/4 Mile And It Ran A 15.15 At 88 Mph, I Am New To The Gn I Was Doin Some Research And I Saw That They Run 14's Bone, Stock So With The Minor Add Ons I Have Is That Normal Or What?

gn owner with?

No! What type of tires,fuel,spark plugs/gap and scan master reading??

ac delco r44ts plugs, 26x11.5 et streets, i am new to that scanmaster box i really dont understand where those numbers need to be at, one thing i do knw i listened to a guy and he told me to put 4 bottles of octane booster in with a full tank i drove it to the track about 30 miles away and i made two passes and the car started missing, i pulled the plugs and they were red, the next day i put a fresh set in and that stopped the missing.

do yourself a favor and dont race it till you learn. check out this website and go over everything. Turbo Regal Web Site. that time is terrible. i went 12.98 at 104 with a stock car

i am new to that scanmaster box i really dont understand where those numbers need to be at,

You REALLY need to know how the scanmaster works to tune and preserve your car. Hopefully this link works as it has the scanmaster instructions.
Scanmaster II

You REALLY need to know how the scanmaster works to tune and preserve your car. Hopefully this link works as it has the scanmaster instructions.
Scanmaster II

good link

FWIW
all geocities pages are being taken down sometime this year,
have anything you want to save from geocities, do it now.

Dont waste $$ on Octane Booster!!!
Either get alchy, 112 race gas or mix up a batch of Xylene or Toulene for 110 fuel.
Octane Booster is Garbage! As you found out it turns plugs orange or red.

Other than making sure the tune is safe, driver prep may also be needed, ie:
Brake-Torque technique and staging practice, more ET gain there than quick power tricks. Good luck.

Kevin.

What are your 60 ft. times?

You say 17 PSI, I'll guess that's max boost for you? What PSI are you launching (leaving the line) at?

Never heard of flow path mufflers....sounds like some cheap restrictive crap. Know now turbo engines like exhausts that make them breathe.

Green stripe injectors are 30 pounders and are really just a replacement for the stock 28 lb injectors. No real performance gain is said to be had.

The Scanmaster is a really cool tool to have. The 02 millivolts is a 3 digit read out that tells you if the engine is running lean or rich, if you know how to read it. It gets it's info from the 02 sensor, provided the 02 sensor is right. The other side is the knock retard, which is what the knock sensor picks up.

Basically if you had the pedal to the floor, boost was going and the knock retard on the Scanmaster was reading like 1, 2, 3, 4....and the 02 millivolts were below 780, then you have a problem and need to take your foot off the pedal before you blow up the engine.

It also can tell you the water temp, mph, rpm, air temp reading, etc. Read up on it and help it to help you learn. It's a vital source of info.

Also agree octane booster is garbage. When the bottle tells you it raises your octane level by 3 points, it's .03....meaning if you run 89 octane with a bottle of octane booster, now you have 89.3 octane.....and not 92 like most people think....not even worth what you pay for a bottle of the crap....and 91 octane out of the pump is cheaper and more pure in octane.

Listen to these guys on here. Lots of good info in the links provided.

P.S. I didn't geo****ties was coming down....guess no one uses them anymore.

thanks for the info, i read up on the scanmaster and how it works, and i saw my timiming was retarding up to 2.5 degrees and the knock sensor came on my mv's were at 770, so then i tried 110 octane gas after that the car had no retard at all and the knock sensor never came on it felt totally different more stronger i took it to the track i made 3 passes the best i got was 13.49 @ 98 mph launching at 3lbs of boost, the track was crappy the best 60ft i had was a 1.9, i was glad i made an improvement considering it ran a 15 sec pass the first time out, o and another thing whats the normal oil psi for gn once the motor is warmed up

These cars don't carry a lot of oil pressure at idle when hot. Mine carries about 16# at idle. The main thing you have to look out for is oil pressure under load. You need about 10# for every 1000 rpms, 5000rpm=50#

Also, you may need to increase your fuel pressure a little to 43# with the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator.

Cooler plugs may be in order too, r43ts will be good for you. Read the Vortex webside until you can recite the info on command......we may test you on this later. :)

There are some very wise turbo regal guys on here, just ask and you will get a lot of good information.....but listen to the info. There have been some that did not heed our advice and they have hurt their engines. Knock and detonation are NOT our friend......they blow head gaskets and expose crank/rods to sunlight !!!

do yourself a favor and dont race it till you learn. check out this website and go over everything. Turbo Regal Web Site. that time is terrible. i went 12.98 at 104 with a stock car

I agree that time is terrible i went 14.6 with a shuddering trans and a smoking stock turbo at 15lbs of boost as advised do alot of reading

If you were reading only 770 on your Scanmaster at the top of 2nd and 3rd you're a tad bit lean. You want nothing less than 780 or you'll be replacing head gaskets or picking up pieces of the engine off the pavement. Get your mixture a little richer.

Reading about your car you show a snow performance inj kit. That is an alky kit. You may try posting some pics of the engine compartment so those that know can help.

I gotta chime in here, was very very few "stock" GN's to ever go 13's on stock tires,corked up, and in the middle of the year, in the frosty time (sub 40's) they did decent mph(98-100) but in 60-70 degrees, street tires, pump gas stock, mid to high 14's (92-96 mph) was about all you'd get. There has to be more factual database than that "Darth Vader, your car is ready" roadtest from Car&Driver.
I remember mine doing 14.65's at 93mph at Ubly dragway in summer '86, and a guy from Dave Hall chevy did 14.80'S same day, he had moonroof, I had T-tops, and neither of us could leave anywhere near full power, 5-7 lbs launch before it pushed through the brakes.

Kevin.

Lookin for 1987 gn tuners near shreveport louisiana

Are there any 1987 buick gn tuners near shreveport louisiana