1987 GN daily driver?

HelloimBlanco

Hello everyone!

Wondering if you guys could help me out with this, I am currently looking for a 1987 Buick grand national as a daily driver and wanted to know what exactly I should be looking at considering this car will be my daily driver. Does anyone on this forum have their GN as a daily? Any reason why I shouldn't be considering this car as a daily driver? what should I put into consideration, or be aware of, when purchasing a grand national?

Any input is truly appreciated!

If you want a daily driver, as always, the closer to stock the better. There are still plenty of good mileage GN's out there but the value is steadily creeping up on these cars as well as theft. So protect your investment everyway possible. One of mine was a daily for about 7 years and it shows. It's ready for a front end rebuild and needs a new cam. Interior is a 9.5 out of 10 because the "correct" interior is still readily available as a matter of fact many stock parts are still available. Hopefully you live in an area of other TR's and can have a little support going, troubleshooting can get a little frustrating at times. I amost forgot, if you have to get it repainted black, it will be the most expensive black paint job that you've ever heard of, I wish I were kidding on that one. There is one area that always need to be at the forefront of driving concerns and that is the Power Master braking system, at some point it may fail and scare you to death. They can be rebuilt to new specs or converted to hydroboost or a vacuum system.So that issue can be easily resolved. If has been garage kept or you can keep it in a garage you are ahead on future maintenance.It took years to get a set of original GM ttop weatherstrip. Good luck on your quest and hopefully others will chime in on their DD experiences.

Much has to do with what the previous owners have done or haven't done to the car.

I looked at a few Rube Goldberg-mobiles before I got mine. One was loaded with shredded rubber behind the rear wheels and up in the bumper. Oil leaks everywhere,also. The car was beat to an inch of its life.

Another had wiring issues. Almost all of the wiring was hanging out of the harnesses.

Buying one of these cars is a gamble. The best choice,as mentioned before,is to get one as close to stock as possible and that hasn't been beat to death with no regard for maintenance and repair.

There are upgrades that should be done. If you find one that has had the proper upgrades (example: new body cushions) you are that much ahead as long as the work was done correctly.

As far as having one as a DD,they are perfect for that. I took mine out and ran errands the other day. City traffic,shopping malls,... It will cruise around all innocently and mild mannered all day. But,when it's time to lay waste to something,it's right there.

I got mine as a near-stocker/rescue from a GE Executive who *thought* he knew how to work on it. Spark plugs gapped at .070 don't cut it,man. Especially when they are the wrong ones!

Oh... And what about all the brake light bulbs being pulled out and the third brake light hanging by the wires? The brake lights are stuck on?? How about pulling the fuse next time?! (Switch needed adjustment)

Yeah,mine was a rescue.

If you want a daily driver, as always, the closer to stock the better. There are still plenty of good mileage GN's out there but the value is steadily creeping up on these cars as well as theft. So protect your investment everyway possible. One of mine was a daily for about 7 years and it shows. It's ready for a front end rebuild and needs a new cam. Interior is a 9.5 out of 10 because the "correct" interior is still readily available as a matter of fact many stock parts are still available. Hopefully you live in an area of other TR's and can have a little support going, troubleshooting can get a little frustrating at times. I amost forgot, if you have to get it repainted black, it will be the most expensive black paint job that you've ever heard of, I wish I were kidding on that one. There is one area that always need to be at the forefront of driving concerns and that is the Power Master braking system, at some point it may fail and scare you to death. They can be rebuilt to new specs or converted to hydroboost or a vacuum system.So that issue can be easily resolved. If has been garage kept or you can keep it in a garage you are ahead on future maintenance.It took years to get a set of original GM ttop weatherstrip. Good luck on your quest and hopefully others will chime in on their DD experiences.

I've seen a lot of people upgrading to a vacuum system, what would you consider "good mileage" for a car like this?
Thank you !

Much has to do with what the previous owners have done or haven't done to the car.

I looked at a few Rube Goldberg-mobiles before I got mine. One was loaded with shredded rubber behind the rear wheels and up in the bumper. Oil leaks everywhere,also. The car was beat to an inch of its life.

Another had wiring issues. Almost all of the wiring was hanging out of the harnesses.

Buying one of these cars is a gamble. The best choice,as mentioned before,is to get one as close to stock as possible and that hasn't been beat to death with no regard for maintenance and repair.

There are upgrades that should be done. If you find one that has had the proper upgrades (example: new body cushions) you are that much ahead as long as the work was done correctly.

As far as having one as a DD,they are perfect for that. I took mine out and ran errands the other day. City traffic,shopping malls,... It will cruise around all innocently and mild mannered all day. But,when it's time to lay waste to something,it's right there.

I got mine as a near-stocker/rescue from a GE Executive who *thought* he knew how to work on it. Spark plugs gapped at .070 don't cut it,man. Especially when they are the wrong ones!

Oh... And what about all the brake light bulbs being pulled out and the third brake light hanging by the wires? The brake lights are stuck on?? How about pulling the fuse next time?! (Switch needed adjustment)

Yeah,mine was a rescue.

haha, at least it was rescued! any input on what i should steer AWAY from when it comes to modified GN's ?

I'm going to disagree with everybody on here so far.

Don't DD a Grand National.

1) A good, lower mileage, near stock example will set you back $16K at least. For that money, you can get something thirty years newer that gets double the gas mileage, has better A/C and stereo, is faster and handles better, is MUCH safer, and doesn't need maintenance beyond oil changes and brakes.
2) These cars are hard to insure for DD purposes. "regular" insurance will only insure you to a really low wholesale book value, likely close to $10K. Any agreed value policy that insures you for what it's worth also limits mileage driven.
3) Despite what people like to say, these cars are not reliable compared to modern cars. They require constant care and feeding to keep them in tip-top shape, and some parts are getting hard to find. When something fails, it's more often then not going to result in an upgrade, not a simple trip to the parts store for a replacement (MAF Dies? You need a new Chevy MAF and a translator, not just a new MAF, for example).

These are great cars, and a properly maintained one will indeed be reliable enough to stand in for your DD if you find yourself in between cars or the real DD has an extended stay in the shop, but running it continuously at 12K miles a year will not go well in the long run.

I'm going to disagree with everybody on here so far.

Don't DD a Grand National.

1) A good, lower mileage, near stock example will set you back $16K at least. For that money, you can get something thirty years newer that gets double the gas mileage, has better A/C and stereo, is faster and handles better, is MUCH safer, and doesn't need maintenance beyond oil changes and brakes.
2) These cars are hard to insure for DD purposes. "regular" insurance will only insure you to a really low wholesale book value, likely close to $10K. Any agreed value policy that insures you for what it's worth also limits mileage driven.
3) Despite what people like to say, these cars are not reliable compared to modern cars. They require constant care and feeding to keep them in tip-top shape, and some parts are getting hard to find. When something fails, it's more often then not going to result in an upgrade, not a simple trip to the parts store for a replacement (MAF Dies? You need a new Chevy MAF and a translator, not just a new MAF, for example).

These are great cars, and a properly maintained one will indeed be reliable enough to stand in for your DD if you find yourself in between cars or the real DD has an extended stay in the shop, but running it continuously at 12K miles a year will not go well in the long run.

Thanks for the input, Definitely taking these valid points to consideration.

what mileage should i be looking at? hows maintenance for you GN guys?
i'm willing to spend AT MOST in the high 20's. i also have my eyes on newer cars as a DD, but if it makes sense for me, i would really want GN.

just for fun: these are DD's i have in mind:
1st: Grand National
2nd: Dodge Charger SRT 392
3rd: Audi s4
4th: Lexus RC-F

i currently have a Lexus is250 as a DD and my weekend ride is a 1964 Lincoln Continental

I've seen a lot of people upgrading to a vacuum system, what would you consider "good mileage" for a car like this?
Thank you !

Good mileage for what? Before you convert to vacuum brakes?
Don't worry about the powermaster deadline. As soon as it gives you trouble......convert.

Just like any other used car I drive, a used TR will need attention. No more, no less. If you find one that has most of the "recipe" stuff done to it and it was loved by the previous owner, it will run better than it did stock, and be more reliable.

What makes my other used cars more "daily driver friendly" is the fact that I could care less what happens to them. If something goes wrong with them, I just keep driving them until they blow up or die. Then I through them away. Less stress = more daily driver friendly.

Owning a TR daily driver is more stressful. Because if it breaks, I'll care about it. So now I have to fix it.

I think it depends on the individuals expectations of a daily driver. For example, my boss complained his car didn't have heated/defrost on it's side view mirrors!!! I asked him "Are you truly a man?" Maybe his ball-sack was snipped off by his wife. Because real men don't need no f*ck*ng heated mirrors. Or anti-lock brakes. Or GPS. Or AWD. Or all the other gizmos.

So as far as I'm concerned, not only are they reliable, but also just about the most comfortable car I may ever drive on a daily basis.

Many will sell turbo cars advertised as stock and low miles and they are not. If u want a daily driver buy a Honda, toyo. Buy a turbo car for fun

I wouldnt put high 20K in my daily driver as you mentioned. I definitely woundn't mod anything on it. A 20k+ car should still have an excellent factory paint job on it and if it was scratched or dented by someone ,I would go beserk. I have seen excellent low mileage cars in the 16 range that I wouldnt drive every day. I paid 8500 for a hard top rust free daily and it needed bumper fillers front and rear, tires, driver side door pull strap, top of back seat was faded, 119k on the miles and lots and lots of minor things, it has 141233 on the clock at this moment. The paint is a very strong 7 with very faint fading on the hood , roof and trunk. Waxing is losing its touch. The car is even a smooth runner, ac blows cold and bone stock. Sure there are better examples out there to use as a daily driver, technology has come a very long way. Get the GN at whatever price point you want and use it on the weekend. That car will continue to increase in value. Look at how many other 80's car have appreciated in value. I have a mini collection of them from bone stock to wild, from extreme low mileage to can we legally drive this on the street.

what mileage should i be looking at? hows maintenance for you GN guys?
i'm willing to spend AT MOST in the high 20's. i also have my eyes on newer cars as a DD, but if it makes sense for me, i would really want GN.

just for fun: these are DD's i have in mind:
1st: Grand National
2nd: Dodge Charger SRT 392
3rd: Audi s4
4th: Lexus RC-F

i currently have a Lexus is250 as a DD and my weekend ride is a 1964 Lincoln Continental

I would take any of the last 3 choices over a Grand National as a DD. Don't get me wrong, I love my GN but it's not comfortable like a modern car, you'll get tired of worrying about it being stolen, it will break down more than a modern car. I don't care what others say, you will miss GPS, heated seats/mirrors, better heat/AC, faster power windows, etc...But a GN is great as a 2nd car that you can drive to work once a week or you just want to cruise around on the weekend and threaten the modern cars, hardly anyone will challenge you.

Daily driver = commuter/beater

Pick up a used Ford Taurus or Crown Vic & try to drive it into the ground. No one will look at you twice. Doubtful that anyone would consider stealing the car. Won't hurt as much if someone runs into you, etc.

You don't want to leave a clean Turbo Regal in a parking lot for 8-12 hrs a day unless there is a sharp security guard patrolling the lot.

Cons of DD:
Insurance: I dunno if I could have even gotten it insured as a DD. If so I don't know what it would have cost. When I looked, I think both Hagarty and Grundy require the car isn't used for DD in order for Agreed value.

Repair time: If/when something does break on the car, it will take time to repair it. If you have NO other DD, you are down until its fixed. Car is 29+years old. Part's can still be found for stuff that breaks, but cost $$ and take time to arrive, even with Fedex. Can you be without your DD for 2-3 days in a best case scenario while you wait for a part, assuming you install it yourself and don't have to schedule it to be repaired. They are built using 1980's technology and rust is a real threat. Many will agree that when the car needs repairs, taking it to a modern repair facility (even a Buick dealer) is a BAD idea, unless the technician has first hand experience working on these.

Theft: Search these forums for 'Stolen'. These cars are one of the easiest to steal. If the car is your DD, you will have patterns of where you leave it and it is will attract thieves. Which explains the insurance argument above. You already will need multiple theft deterrents installed, but many times if the thief failed to steal your car, they will damage it enough to need repairs before being driven again. (See the above note about downtime for parts)

I think these cars 'can' be good for a DD one they are sorted out. When Turbo Regals were new, lots of people used them as DD's. I always seem to meet someone who DD's theirs. Some do it through winter. As other have mentioned, they can handle the job, are really comfortable to drive, and always turn heads.

When you buy one, you really don't know what you are getting into sometimes. Stock is increasing rare but means lot of things need to be replaced. 'Returned to Stock' is by far more common, but that means someone had a bunch of other stuff in there and removed it, usually just prior to the sale. Those Heavily modded cars are usually kept by either mad scientists or mechanical geniuses both of which had the motivation to 'See what this baby can do!'. You wont necessarily know which one built yours till after you bought it hehe. All you can do is ask questions, and request documentation.

DD just takes a toll on cars, even new ones. No way around it. As previously mentioned, most of us have a DD that takes the wear and tear because we want to enjoy the Turbo Regal. We usually only want to buy another one because we want more, not because we ruined the last one we had. Just looking around on CL and eBay you can see some that have not been kept with care. You usually can tell in teh pictures. Beyond the mechanical stuff that you can't see, their interiors with seats torn and carpet well worn, and the paint gets weathered. The paint is really bad on these cars, especially if it wasn't sheltered from the elements.

If you already have a DD and a TR would just be a DD because you have it, you can probably work it out if you were really proactive with maintenance, and had a solid guy to take it to for repairs. There are guys on this board who have TR's with 200k+ miles on the car and you wouldn't know it because they take THAT good care of it.

if you were planning on the TR being the only car in the stable, I really wouldn't recommend it, especially if you needed your car to get to work every day.

Here is a link to check out in case you haven't been there already http://gnttype.org/general/buyguide.html

Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Daily driver = commuter/beater

Pick up a used Ford Taurus or Crown Vic & try to drive it into the ground. No one will look at you twice. Doubtful that anyone would consider stealing the car. Won't hurt as much if someone runs into you, etc.

You don't want to leave a clean Turbo Regal in a parking lot for 8-12 hrs a day unless there is a sharp security guard patrolling the lot.
Yes. As I said earlier. The biggest inconvenience of having a TR as a daily driver is having to care too much about it. Not reliability. All used cars need maintenance. That part starts the day the warranty expires.

I would take any of the last 3 choices over a Grand National as a DD. Don't get me wrong, I love my GN but it's not comfortable like a modern car, you'll get tired of worrying about it being stolen, it will break down more than a modern car. I don't care what others say, you will miss GPS, heated seats/mirrors, better heat/AC, faster power windows, etc...But a GN is great as a 2nd car that you can drive to work once a week or you just want to cruise around on the weekend and threaten the modern cars, hardly anyone will challenge you.

Very sound advice here from turbojay.

You will find the thieves will want your car as much or more than you do. You will have to constantly be looking out for them and the first time you drop your guard no matter where or when they will have the car and be gone. The only time i take my turbo regal out of the garage is to drive it and i never stop and leave it unattended for even a moment. I sure wouldn't drive it somewhere and park outside,ever.

I would take any of the last 3 choices over a Grand National as a DD. Don't get me wrong, I love my GN but it's not comfortable like a modern car, you'll get tired of worrying about it being stolen...

I'll have to agree with turbojay there. Maybe I was taken the wrong way. I didn't mean a TR should be used as a DD. But it should be more than capable of doing DD things.

Every time I take mine out,I'm mindful of theft and people running into me. Just last year a pickup backed into me after missing a driveway and throwing it in reverse at a light. $3,700 in damage.

I have no problems putting my GN thru the paces of a DD now and then,but I would never use it as one on a permanent basis.

I want my GN to be able to step in and do DD things for a day if need be. Shopping,using the huge trunk... The other day I bought a 4 cu.ft minifridge. It wouldn't fit in any of my 3 DD's. I had to get the GN! The trunk was open,held by a bungee..

What mileage is good?? It depends on the previous owners. For 20k you should get a nice one.

I got mine for $7,800 in 2010. The guy had to sell. 80,000mi. Body good. Excellent interior. Mostly stock.

It now has near flawless paint and countless upgrades. 88,000. I've probably got 17k into it.

Good luck with your search.

Btw,my DD's are three Olds Ciera's. One '89 and two '90s. All with 3300 Buick V6's. They go forever. The best DD's anyone could ever want. :)

image.jpeg

haha, at least it was rescued! any input on what i should steer AWAY from when it comes to modified GN's ?

Rubber all over the underside in the back.

Old school upgrades.

I'd say avoid one that has an Alky kit in it because you know it has been doing some serious boosting.
That can be taken either way. Sometimes an Alky kit is there because someone knew what they were doing. There are people who turn up the boost but don't consider Alky because they can't afford it,etc.

Avoid a car that is not neat,clean and well kept. Having all receipts is a plus.

I'd really recommend you get one that's as close to stock as possible. If something goes wrong with a highly modified car,it's gonna be tough to track the issue down because you don't know what the previous owner did.

At least here,you have a better shot at help if it's a stocker. You don't want to be calling the previous owner when something arises.

Mine had the vacuum brake upgrade when I bought it. The previous owner had it swapped in. He also has quite a scary story attached when the powermaster quit.

Assuming you dont have another dd id shop around and get a decent taurus/malibu/etc for 4-5k and spend the rest on a GN and DD the GN. If you have to go on a long trip you can take the newer car or if its snowy/salty out.

If you dont have a back up car you will likely get burnt out on the GN from stressing about fixing it so you have transportation. I say go for the GN daily driver you only live once.