1986 GN sputtering/bogging running like crap.

MiamiGranny

havent posted in a while, just been lurking but i ran into a problem with my 86 GN.

I was driving to work the other day, car was running fine. one block away as i was on the gas, it felt like it died, the car started bogging and sputtering, felt like it was misfiring pretty bad, had just barely enough to make it into the parking lot. I thought the MAF might have gone bad to i tried cleaning it with some carb/choke cleaner, to no avail, still bogging/sputtering/misfiring. On a cold start, it starts just fine, then after about 3 seconds it starts to bog/sputter/misfire. I swapped out the MAF for a new one from the auto parts store, to no avail, still bogs/sputters/misfires. mind you the check engine light is not on.

Now check this out. I managed to get it home by unplugging the MAF. Now i unplug the MAF, check engine light turns on, starts up fine, idles fine, but when i get on the throttle, it bogs/sputters/misfires when the RPMS get to a constant, in other words, as long as the rpms are increasing, the less it wants to bog/sputter/misfire.

I should be getting my scanmaster and power logger wednesday, hopefully it will narrow down what is wrong with it.

I was told that the auto parts MAFs dont give accurate readings, and are defective most of the time. The reason i think its the MAF is because if the MAF is plugged in, it bogs/sputters/misfires so bad that the car is not even driveable. However when i unplug it it idles fine, and only bogs/sputters/misfires sometimes and the check engine light turns on. I described the symptoms down to the TEE. Has anyone ever had this problem before? what should i look for? a buddy of mine has an ACDelco MAF that im going to try out on wednesday hopefully thats the culprit. ANY INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance.

A list of things i have done so far.

Swapped ECU and chip, still running like crap
swapped MAF, still running like crap

I found this link kinda sounds like what my car is doing http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/help-code-24-no-spark.352052/

Sounds like it may be the MAF. Parts store MAF's have been known to be unreliable. Try your buddies AC Delco.

Also check all the basics.
What's your fuel pressure? How old is the pump? Is it hot wired? Fuel filter plugged?
Any vacuum hoses leaking?
Do you have good battery voltage?
Take the cap off the cam sensor and see if the ring is loose.
Are the ground wires on the back of the passenger head tight and not broken?
Check the ECM for corrosion on the top. Is the chip seated tight?

Scan tool data will help after you get them installed.

found the culprit, MAJOR VACUUM LEAK LOL. turns out the coupler to my fmic took a crap. i replaced it, runs good as new.
IMG_20120612_124439.jpg

THANKS HEG.

Yeah, I would call that broken!! :eek:

Glad you found it and it was a simple fix.

Yeah, I would call that broken!! :eek:

Glad you found it and it was a simple fix.
it was the first time i looked at the car since i parked it, im lucky that it was that dumb thing not something bigger. Once again thanks for the help.