1986 and 1987 LC2 Differences

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
Help me set the record straight regarding the EXACT differences (mechanically only) between the 1986 and the 1987 LC2 motors.

I am not aware of any actual mechanical differences between the two years but I have never owned an '86 - only '87's (four of them). I've always read the HP/Torque numbers were raised for the '87 due to GM's raising the Vette's numbers and that essentially, the engines for both years were identical (other than rod bolts and possibly the rods for '87 and even that is unverified).

IF there are any actual differences mechanically in the drivetrain for the two years, what are they in detail?

Anyone?

the only differences that ive seen are the stickers on the coilpack, the caps for the powersteering spin in opposite directions, and the cruise control diaphragms are bigger on 86's.

so basically...nothing

This has been done to death man, they are the same. I think this falls into the 87 was the baddest and 86 doesnt compare myth. Does anybody have 86 blueprints or something.

Ive had 3 86's and they had the same rod bolts as all the 87's ive seen. I call BS on the rod bolt myth. Both 86 and 87 were underated on HP. Reportedly they were around 270hp stock.

The oil cooler lines are different, 86 looks like high pressure rubber hose, 87 looks like braided hose.

Worthog said:
The oil cooler lines are different, 86 looks like high pressure rubber hose, 87 looks like braided hose.

Not true. Three different hose types exist. All 3 were used on the 86 and 2 on the 87's.
Type 1-86 only. Smooth hose, band type crimped clamps. The hoses were cut on the short side and pulled from the fittings because of excessive engine movement.
Type 2-86 & 87. Braided Aeroquip hose with formed hose fittings and clamps.
Type 3-86 & 87. Smooth hose with formed hose fittings and clamps.

At any particular time you could get either of the later types as GM used several different vendors for these hoses.

There was nothing internally different between the 2 years as far as the hard engine parts go.

Ahh, ok, guess I'm wrong. I had just never seen an 87 with the smooth hoses.