1979 Lesabre Sport, for NHRA Stock Eliminator?

Good to know. I will leave mine be for now. I did contact Reed, no reply yet.

In the meantime I did get some good tips from Tony Massari, and also scored an MSD 6BTM and 2 step off cragislist for $160! When it stops snowing here I'll get back to work and some new pics!

The MSD was the big suggestion, a were RJC head gaskets. The rest was really application specific, as in shift points, gearing, etc. I'm going to let the car shift itself at 5500, and start with the 3.42 gear.
I also scored a Lunati cam and GN exhaust manifolds from a former Turbo Buick racer, to aid my build.

I can say this much: I am honored to have these two fine racers aid me in my build!

Here's a pic from this morning. I really like the patina, gives t a "Junkyard Dog" feel. I do have new front tires and drag radials, but no sense putting them on yet.
jydog2.jpg

Looks solid but I'd get the rust done with some primer. A 34 YO car may have some rust issues if you don't take care of them fairly quickly.

The rust is just surface rust, very little at that. Alot is just to the EPDM coating. The car will get scuffed and satin clear, to keep the patina, and because it's cheap. I'm building this car to run 14.00s on a $1400 budget. I have about $1100 into it right now.

The rust is just surface rust, very little at that. Alot is just to the EPDM coating. The car will get scuffed and satin clear, to keep the patina, and because it's cheap. I'm building this car to run 14.00s on a $1400 budget. I have about $1100 into it right now.
Do a search on chemical rust removal in the resto section. under my name. I found a good rust remover that is easy and gets rid of the rust.;)

Just for the record I have 30 years proffessional experiance in body work and restoration and customs . primer causes cars to rust faster it is a substrate not a top coat. If you want to seal the metal it must be painted, not left in primer.

You use etch or epoxy to cover bare still and Primer surfacer to block out imperfections like sand scraches and feather edges on paint it is not a metal top coat.Thats why you put on primer in thin coats and block it off to get the imperfections out all cars look better after a good blocking no matter how nice they were bfore.

I'm paint and body stupid. So if primer causes metal to rust faster, why use it?
Exactly if you afe gonna make your car look like shit, it might as well be paint it wont cause it to rust faster.Satin clear is at least sealing the metal from moisture not drwing in more moisture. Priming the metal to stop rust is an Urban Myth.

not to hi-jack, but since we got Mikes ear on a subject that most of us are pretty terrible at.. (including me couldnt do it to save my life)

Whats your thoughts on that Primer/Sealer that 5 Star makes? i think they call it hot rod black

Its a primer surfacer that can be used as primer sealer b4 paint primersealer actually acts as an adhaesion promoter since there is no longer lead in paint that used to be the common binder. nNow if you want a top coat sealant you still have to paint that hot rod satin black enamel or eurathane top coat. AND BY THE WAY DIG THE LESABRE ITS PERFECT. Love american full size cars those were the days no air bags needed unless you wanted to take your old lady with ya:D

And now the gear ratio debate: I have a pair of fairly worn 26" slicks and 3.42 gears for the car, however there are 2.73s in there and I scored a almost new pair of 22" slicks. Which way would you all choose? I doubt I would have trouble selling the 22s...